Bolt's Z-6 Rotary Cannon build
Build Thread 
What can I say? I love big guns and the Z-6 Rotary cannon is certainly big enough to get me excited, just saying...

Ever since finishing my CW Phase 2 Shocktrooper I have been sniffing around the forums looking for a Z-6. What probably didn't help is that I have the Sideshow 212th Deluxe trooper in my cabinet at home (Shiny Phase 1 version pictured). He has his backpack loaded with a blaster and grenades and his Z-6. And if you watch the Clone Wars a lot of troopers have the same load out. You see guys from the 212th, 501st, 327th and even plain ol' shiny trooper with the backpack and Z-6. So I thought, why not the Shocktroopers? Their commander, Thorn, carried one. So maybe some of Coruscant's finest did the same (and plus, I already have the backpack...).

[Image: ss-deluxe-clone-trooper-veteran_zps97rxej8p.jpg]

[Image: 20160223_192225_zpsmqgs15sl.jpg]

A couple of weeks ago I spotted a video on Studio 49's channel showing off the CAD model of a Z-6. A few PM's and email's later and it turns out that he had been planning to put one together himself a few years ago, even printing out a couple of pieces. He graciously sold them to me along with a print-out of the plans to work from. (He's actually offering to do a run of plans, so if you are interested you should jump on that, they are brilliant!). A big thank you again to Studio 49, mate you are a legend!

[Image: 1_zpspxqzhdj1.png]

So here we are at day 1! A late night trip to Bunnings after work last night and an afternoon today and I have the main body/coolant section cut out and in the process of drilling out the actual coolant holes. Measuring up the part is the most difficult bit at the moment, as I'm mostly planning the build right now. I've been reading a few threads on the CTD and I have a good idea of what needs to be done. I'm going to have a drill motor that will spin the barrels and a sound set-up that will let me unleash some serious firepower after they start spinning!

I'm looking forward to playing around with this to get it to work, it's going to be heaps of fun Smile

Here's some pic's of today's progress and some of the parts (I haven't got them all yet). My goal date is to have it done for Dreamworld this year, so the race is on!!

[Image: 20160223_192152_zps47fr0hnx.jpg]

[Image: 20160223_192202_zpstraqq2yb.jpg]
[Image: 53635972792_7031aa3c80_z.jpg]
Good luck with the build, done a few of these. Doppeldaumen1
Awesome! Instant subscription from me mate Doppeldaumen1
I'm so stoked I was able to provide the parts and plans to someone whom I know will do this bad boy justice! Thank you for the compliments on the plans and I cannot wait to see this come together. As always if you have any questions, just shoot me a PM and I'll help you out as best I can Wink

By the way when you get it done for Dream World, I am making sure I get a photo in Vader with you and that Z6! Peace
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
Distance Traveled To Troops =  4346.4km
Popcorn time!!
"The Death Star plans are not in the main computer"

[Image: T0ZvRQv.png]

[Image: Eu2xjUD.png]
awesome, keen to see the outcomeSmile

Terror
Thanks for the comments everyone!!

Got a little work done today, cut out the first disc that goes on the front of the "Coolant section" and mates with the rotating section. I haven't finished sanding it so that it's nice and smooth yet. All the holes are cut out and sanded as well.

[Image: 20160224_175008_zpscnmedbc2.jpg]

Here's a look at the 3D printed parts that I get to work with:

[Image: 20160224_180017_zpstqmcxg3p.jpg]

And that's all for today because I got sawdust in my eye and I can say that it is quite painful!
Already looking great Luke! Doppeldaumen1
It's funny, I almost did a double take there thinking, "hang on aren't those printed parts in my shed?" Then I sleepy Jonah remembered that they're in your capable hands Doppeldaumen1
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
(Wednesday 24-Feb-2016, 08:04 PM)Studio 49 Wrote:  Already looking great Luke! Doppeldaumen1
It's funny, I almost did a double take there thinking, "hang on aren't those printed parts in my shed?" Then I sleepy Jonah remembered that they're in your capable hands Doppeldaumen1

Thanks Jonah!!

Got some good progress done today. Finished off the front disc and cut out 2 more for the inside of the Cooling chamber. I glued and nailed another thinner disc to the front one so that it slots nicely into the front of the pipe.

[Image: 20160225_164754_zps6uurzfwx.jpg]

[Image: 20160225_184410_zpsxfebb4a0.jpg]

The front 2 discs have a hole drilled in the very center for the drive shaft to go through, and the rear disc has a hole for the first part of the handle. Cutting out these discs is really testing my jigsaw skills!

[Image: 20160225_184618_zpswacl5jgp.jpg]

[Image: 20160225_184547_zps8ti5dcdh.jpg]

And finally I started taking apart the drill that I bought to power the Z-6. It cost $49 and should do the job nicely. It actually surprised me just how simple the electronics inside are, so it should be really easy to set up inside the blaster.

[Image: 20160225_194635_zps1b3raeqx.jpg]

[Image: 20160225_194552_zps8usn49th.jpg]

That's all for today!!
(Thursday 25-Feb-2016, 09:03 PM)Bolt_2112 Wrote:  Thanks Jonah!!

Got some good progress done today. Finished off the front disc and cut out 2 more for the inside of the Cooling chamber. I glued and nailed another thinner disc to the front one so that it slots nicely into the front of the pipe.

Love it, I think I'm getting just as excited as you are with the progress and I'm only watching Wink

It's especially fascinating to see the internals of the drill, and you're not kidding they do look pretty easy to work with. I figure all you'd have to do really is cut the wires and solder on extensions to reach from the trigger to the barrel portion, secure it and you're ready to rock!Peace

When you get the barrels rotating, please do post a video Wink

Also can I please ask if you would be ok with me posting some photos of your progress on my Studio 49 business Facebook page to show what customers are building with my plans? I would be honoured to share it with yo permissionDoppeldaumen1
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
(Thursday 25-Feb-2016, 09:15 PM)Studio 49 Wrote:  Love it, I think I'm getting just as excited as you are with the progress and I'm only watching Wink

It's especially fascinating to see the internals of the drill, and you're not kidding they do look pretty easy to work with. I figure all you'd have to do really is cut the wires and solder on extensions to reach from the trigger to the barrel portion, secure it and you're ready to rock!Peace

When you get the barrels rotating, please do post a video Wink

Also can I please ask if you would be ok with me posting some photos of your progress on my Studio 49 business Facebook page to show what customers are building with my plans? I would be honoured to share it with yo permissionDoppeldaumen1

Haha thanks again! Yes that's pretty much it for the drill. The trigger that came with it is too big for the handle so I am going to solder in a new one and other than that and the wire extensions it should be pretty easy Smile

I will certainly do a video of the rotating barrels (just need to make them first...)

Sure you can post the photo's! I will have better ones as I get further into the build though, but it's up to you which ones you want to use Hi5
Thank you Luke Wink
Any photo is a good photo, it shows your thought processes and how the schematics have informed the build so even what you have already is great Smile
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
Today's progress:

All non-rotating discs installed and mounted to make a tray which enables you to essentially take all the guts of the blaster out for charging/maintenance.

Drill was also test fitted and I will put the mounting bracket in tomorrow hopefully Smile

[Image: 20160226_162556_zpsbwimzrxp.jpg]

The tray slides out the front of the coolant/power pack part of the blaster.

[Image: 20160226_174702_zpsdekc51sk.jpg]

[Image: 20160226_174723_zpsclywekmk.jpg]

I also mounted the lowest part of the handle for the blaster. This was a bit tricky because it was a 3d printed part, and in order for the tray to slide it had to be removable (so that everything could pass through the center of the blaster to slide out.) So I came up with this: a clear piece of perspex with a hole for the wires to poke through and screwed to the face of the handle. The tab in the center clicks into another piece on the tray. See next picture

[Image: 20160226_174439_zpsegeg9bm4.jpg]

[Image: 20160226_174535_zps3ci1eycn.jpg]

It fits quite well and will definitely not fall out under normal use, however it was a little wobbly so I packed it out with some of my trusty aluminium tape.

[Image: 20160226_180057_zpsjyzv1diq.jpg]

It fit really nice now, no wobble and you can lift the entire blaster from the handle (although I won't try this when the blaster is fully assembled!!)

[Image: 20160226_180115_zpsr1rnckph.jpg]

Tomorrow I will hopefully get the drill motor in position and mounted. There is a fair amount of stuff to go into the rear of the blaster, so making it as accessible as possible was a must!

That's it for today Smile
That's looking great. Love the sliding sleeve idea and that quick release mechanism for the handle is simply brilliant
You've got to love a bit of your trusty tape! I did a very similar thing to secure the shroud on my Vader Saber better Wink
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
Awesome work guys

Terror
Loving it, great work so far.
"The Death Star plans are not in the main computer"

[Image: T0ZvRQv.png]

[Image: Eu2xjUD.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Interest Thread Rotating blaster cannon Aussiegamer 10 2,158 Thursday 27-Mar-2014, 05:53 PM
Last Post: TerrorFirma