uniform
Just a question about the uniforms/costumes.
Does the article have to be a 100% star wars or can you substitute boots, belts etc from surplus stores?
Every costume
Every part
Needs to be screen accurate
Do not buy anything before asking Phantom or the costume review committee if the maker is known.
You may be burning good money and not be approved with a crappy part etc.

Yes
Everything is scrutinised closely
DW2012 TO DW2015
BN11 TO BN14
:GCSN12: TO GCSN15

Firstly, yes everything has to be screen accurate as per the appropriate Costume Reference Library (CRL) entry.

Have a look here for the costume that you are interested in http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRL

Also, we are happy to help but as you are in NSW it would be worth touching base with your local Garrison http://www.501scg.com/
You all beat me to it....

Everything has to be as per the Costume Reference Library (CRL) and it also has to match the reference images for the costume as well.

Best have a chat with the Southern Cross Garrison GML as well.
"Research, THEN, make it look like the picture!"

DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
BN14GCSN15
It all has to be screen accurate Smile that being said though, don't be fooled into thinking that you have to drop $400 on Kylo Ren boots from Imperial Boots, when cheap costume boots and some leather strips can achieve the same look Smile
You've taken your first step into a larger world.

The droid.. stole a freighter?

DW2016
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm hoping to piece together a TIE pilot costume. I wasn't sure if I could afford the whole thing so I thought I'd be able to get the boots from a surplus store. Is there a proper reference picture for boots?
(Tuesday 12-Jul-2016, 01:10 AM)skymate Wrote:  Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm hoping to piece together a TIE pilot costume. I wasn't sure if I could afford the whole thing so I thought I'd be able to get the boots from a surplus store. Is there a proper reference picture for boots?

Tie pilot boots use German Jack boots, so you could find them in a surplus store.
Wait. Skymate, are you currently living in NSW? If you are, you should join the Southern Cross Garrison http://www.501scg.com/scg/ They are the NSW branch of the 501st. We are based in QLD Smile
You've taken your first step into a larger world.

The droid.. stole a freighter?

DW2016
Thanks for the help in regards to the uniform. Though I'm a member of the Southern Cross [why does typing that remind me of Robotech?] garrison. I've been unable to log on to their site for some technical problem at my end. And seeing as how it was just some questions with a uniform I thought someone here could help.
No worries mate, we're all more than happy to help
I got my tie from Far Away Creations in the states they do complete kits minus boots and gloves

And I am currently starting on FO Tie pilot and that is so far around 1600 with about 800 still to go on helment balance of suit and boots and painting and assembly

My first tie was about 1200 I think
These blast points — too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise. Tk