4 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Hi Everyone
Just thought I'd introduce myself,
I'm Sallie, New Recruit, living on the Gold Coast.

Getting involved with the 501st Legion has been something I've wanted to do for some time, and after seeing the troop out and about at Supanova and Dreamworld recently, I made my mind up to make the jump.

I am really hoping to put together a Mara Jade costume based on the cover artwork of the novel 'Choices of One' by Timothy Zahn, set 8 months ABY, featuring Mara Jade as The Emperors Hand. (see attached paperback version)

I love the character Mara Jade, but I need a costume such as this due to the fact I have a full sleeve tattoo and need to cover it up. Also being the right hand of the Emperor will be fun too.

The costume will require a completely new CRL, and a lot of discussion on the boards here, and at The Flagship Eclipse. I've also spoken via email with the CO over at The Flagship Eclipse, and he has given me some tips to follow up on with regard to having this character costume approved, which he indicated would be possible.

I've been in touch with the 2 original artists that did the cover art for the novel, and have asked them if they still had their concept sketches, I've received a positive response from 1 at this time, who is looking back through his portfolio to see what he can find.

I've also spoken with a Custom Costume builder this weekend, but I also wonder if there are any other tips that any of you may give me for sourcing of costume materials, possibly hard as I have to define what materials to use yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be textured lambskin for the suit.

Looking forward to becoming an active troop member.
Thanks in advance for any help, advice, tips, etc.

Mara_Jade

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Welcome...sounds like you've got a fair plan going already

Love that pic too
DW2013 to DW2018
Hi and welcome Sallie, You have covered a fair bit of the work you need to do already, So firstly you will need 3 reference pics of this version of Mara ( and concept pics are ok ). Now the main problem when dealing with art sources is trying to work out what real life materials give the same look as the art. As it is that costume looks like its made of a leatherette material ( perhaps texture lambskin ), with a weave in it. One of the best people to talk to would be mamasith and see what material she thinks it could represented by.

Just be aware that completely new costumes do go through a fair bit of scrutiny. We do have a former Legion Membership Officer in the Garrison ( muppet ) and he may be able to give you some insight into what you'll need to do.
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
Welcome! No doubt the Gold Coast guys will sort you out!
Glad you made the jump!
Hey there and welcome. Your next step will be to source LF images showing front, sides and back of the character. Make sure they are clear and high res. Then email these along with a "why should this character be included as a 501st costume" to Phantom and Bids as they eventually will be the people who you will submit your costume to. Bids or Phantom will get back to you with an answer as to if the costume will be approvable within the 501st.
After that, start a build thread on the forums so we can help out and watch your progress Smile
Thanks Rayvn,
I've had responses from 2 of the 5 artists that have depicted Mara Jade in long sleeve suits thus far, both have agreed to search for their original concept works.
The next step is to write my "why should this character be included as a 501st costume" which I have already started, which I was going to include a draft CRL, which would be finalised once I have at least an approval in principle of the costume.
I intend at least to do the body suit out of textured lambs leather, and go from there.
Props are the next thing after taht, Mara has a standoff blaster, which I can source a resin 'Kit' from Argentina, and of course the light sabre, which it looks like will need to be a custom hilt build, Ultra Sabres I'll assume will be my first port of call there.

Anyway, I guess I'll start a build thread in the next couple of weeks.
Do you think I should do it here, or on the 'Flagship Eclipse' forums, or both??

Thanks Doppeldaumen1
Sallie
Hey Sallie,
Sounds to me like you are off to a fantastic start! Technically you should put a build thread up on Flagship. But I have found I don't get much in the way of help, advice and encouragement. So now I tend to put my build threads on the Redback Forums only. There are many members here who have a vast knowledge of how to build things. There is a diversity of talents and specialities with loads of encouragement. Our GMLS and CRC will be the first to see your finished costume during approval, so they can watch your build thread and add advice as you progress. I hope this character will be acceptable 501st because I personally am looking forward to seeing your first build Smile
I've started my build thread here;
http://www.501st.com.au/forum/showthread.php?tid=8619