Hi from Brisbane
Hi Paul & welcome. My first costume was the Black ID while I was waiting for my TK armor to turn up. I'm up in Gympie & if you're ever up this way you're welcome to stop in for a look at the ID and the TK as well for that matter.
Stormtroopers: instant recognition combined with complete anonymity
:GCSN12: DW2012 BN12 GCSN13 :DW13:
I am sort of stuck with work in Cairns this week so it is giving me a great opportunity to do some research.
Being that so many like minded enthusiasts are happy sharing build, design and construction advice I am going to try my hand at making an officers cap from scratch. There is indeed a wealth of info just waiting to be tapped into.

After firstly returning home and sequestering a sewing machine I am going to give it a shot. When I do I will share with you the journey, good and mostly bad.

I appreciate all your encouragement and guidance.

Cheers
Paul
I know buying tk armour online ( from fleabay) is discouraged, and I have read the recommended list of suppliers and emailed some of them ( still waiting on reply). Generally speaking what is wrong with the following armour?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Star-Wars-Sto...1379487663

I have read that "FX" armour is no longer accepted in the 501st but what does the FX/m mean? Please excuse a complete nubie question as I am just trying to get my head around what is acceptable. As you can image to us uninitiated it still looks like a nice suit of armour.

Cheers
Paul.
basically the name of the design the armour was built on

kind of like saying a brand

Ford/Holder/etc.

For example my armour is a RT-MOD
DW2013 to DW2018
Hmm, so if you were to have this fx/m armour to use as a base to created a sandtrooper TD-8800, could it be done? It looks like the fx helmet is frowned upon but OK for tier 1 but not tier 2 or 3 costumes. If you needed to modify the armour by adding material etc would it not be easier to hide the modifications due to the "sandy" being dirty and not shiny?

Getting really great feedback here, I am learning quite a lot.

Cheers
Paul.
Hi Welcome Paul
Re an Imperial Officers hat and costume - You can sew it all yourself but we have some clever folk in the Redbacks that can make the Officers caps for $45-50 to the required specification. By the time you buy the material and get a pattern it can get complicated, but certainly your choice to give it a shot. I don't know where you'd find a pattern.

A few of us officers sourced our uniforms online from Cosplaysky. They are having a sale on at the moment also. I have a black Officers Uniform from them and they are excellent, and approvable with no mods needed (unless they make your pants too big like some and need to be taken in!). Their hats are not to standard. I sourced my hat from a local maker, the uniform from Cosplaysky, boots locally (but the best German jack books for this costume come from overseas) and belt and hat greeblie locally also. All that took a few months and you need to check the 501st Legion main website for the CRL - Costume Reference Library -as the previous member Stormraven has provided - for the up to date requirements. There are a few other components needed such as a rank badge and code cylinders for your side chest pockets. However a Warrant Officer does not need the last 2 pieces.

Best of luck and do ask questions before you make any purchases, you don't want to waste your money.
Just a clarification, Imperial Officers wear English riding boots, Imperial Crewmen wear jackboots. They are different and you need to make sure you have the right boots for the right costume.
I'm meeting up with Paul on the weekend so we go through my ID and TK with him
DW2013 to DW2018
Thank you Matthew for your very insightful information, it was a pleasure meeting you and I feel as though I am another step closer to understanding what it is to be a part of the 501st family.

I will be making some costuming decisions very shortly based on all your excellent info and guidance.

Watch this space so they say.

Cheers
Paul.