Meet Spec Ops
Apok here,

I joined the mighty Redbacks back in 2009.  I have built 5 sets of Spec Ops armour.

Shadowtrooper 
Novatrooper (4)
Nova Elite trooper (5)
Nova Medic trooper (2)
Magmatrooper (5)

Due to my lack of tech skills I basically just built these suits and BAM! there they were in front of the Spec Ops guys and they were asking "where the hell did this guy come from?"  The big problem was that the paint job I did on the Magmatrooper, although very cool and loved by the Detachment leader at the time, was not allowable with the CRL.  If I had done a build thread I would have saved a lot of time.  With my Nova Medic trooper I liaised with the only other guy in the Legion who had one approved and made sure that I had the right colour and details for the NMT.  It was approved first go.

Times have changed, well I'm still rubbish at the tech, but the main point is don't things in secret.  It costs you money.  Start a build thread.  Ask questions.  Listen to advice.  Do not try and be the first in the Legion.  No one actually cares.  You see the numbers next to my costumes?  That is what they were in the Legion.  No one cares!  The kids don't care.  Your garrison mates don't care.  Do a build thread and save yourself time, money and frustration.

Also it is always fun to be called Darth Vader because you are in black armour.

So don't be a Shiney Whitey.  Join the actual dark side.  

Once you go black you never go back!
TX-4881 Hopfot reporting,

I joined the Redback Squad as a Cadet in mid-late 2009 and quickly got to work on my first armour, a TK ANH Stormtrooper. After that was complete I made full 501st member status in February of 2010, in the mighty newly updated and fully functional Redback Garrison.
Then in 2011, over 2 days of cutting and glueing my fingers, I put together my TX Spec Ops armour, a Shadow Scout.

Back then I think I was one of 2 or 3 Spec Ops troopers, there might have been this other guy.... Ebok or something like that, not a very technical minded fella, but he did good. Though I think that Santa Trooper fella had some beef with him..... anyway I'm trailing off..... where was I..... Oh yes.

However being just another Spec Ops grunt wasn't enough for me, I wanted to be someone a Rebel would fear. Someone who maybe once used some questionable techniques for interrigation of a Rebel prisoner. Someone who wasn't just a soldier, but also an exceptional TIE Pilot...... until that one time he crashed..... anyway. So I upgraded. Acquired the extra parts and in 2013 it was complete.

TX-4881, General Wier.

Now a Shadow Scout (sometimes refered to as a Shadow TB, or TX-TB) is one of the great options I think to start off with in Spec Ops, next to a Shadow Trooper. The parts are farely easy to acquire as they are simply just the Black variation of a normal TB Biker Scout. And like a TB to a TK, the "Shadow TB" to a "Shadow TK" has a lot of freedom of movement. Although you do sacrifice tempreture control for that movement, so in a QLD summer, it can get a bit warm (ie, bloody HOT). Especially when you are wearing black plastic armour. However being in black armour is also very awesome. Even if Joe Public calls you Darth Vader every 5 minutes.

So if you want to join the Spec Ops, don't just settle for something that looks like the carbon coby of a boring Stormtrooper, yeah sure maybe with a shiney gold pauldron. Do squats, sit ups, go prone, all the things those armour clad TXs can't do. All the cool stuff. Don't get beat up by a teddy bear, be the REAL bad asses, the REAL Spec Ops, be a Shadow Scout.

Also, don't get me started on those green ones....... they are a silly bunch.