Looking to make armour from scratch.
Hey, i'm looking into making some TK armour from nothing. It seems to be very hard to find any decent schematics of Storm Trooper armour, the 501st website has a reference library but to be honest it is rather limited in what it shows, is there anyone with some good reference pictures, multiple views, or anything that might be of help?

Thanks.
Check out stormtrooper detachment forum
I've checked quite a few different forums, i had a quick look at that one and still no luck on helpful images, is there some issue with people putting up accurate schematics of armour or something? The only pictures anyone seems to post are screenshots of the star wars movies with troopers on screen.
You are going to need access to a vacuum forming machine and also going to need the MOULDS that create the output. So you need money and time.

The MOULDS will have to be CAST from something.

Either you have original moulds from the movies or like ALL recasters you have created your own.

It's ironic that people who supply the 501st claim to have cast from the movies, when in truth they are in fact recasting based on interpretation.

While it's practically impossible to cast from original MOVIE ARMOUR, the 501st has a few select dedicated armour makers where their product is APPROVABLE (501st definiton) completely screen accurate.

Remember, you are going for screen accuracity, not George Lucas private collection. The armour the 501st approved casters supply is all you will need.

Save your money, save your time and source a 501st approved armour supplier.

Rick

Well i have looked into it and the materials to make the moulds, the vacuum forming machine, and the plastic to make the actual armour... well they certainly don't seem as expensive as the armour kits i've seen being sold, unless i just haven't been looking in the right places.

The main problem we're having is finding accurate pictures to base the moulds on.
Yes, unless you want to become another armour maker and mass produce, buying a kit is the easier and most cost/time effective way to go.

The time and cost to shape every vacuform mould for all the parts, plus the cost of a forming machine, then the plastic. I don't see how you could do it for less than $700 (which is the rough cost of Stormtrooper armour)
[Image: 36487379910_dbb9166743_o.png]

Well like i said, so far i haven't seen any indication of that being true, it will take some work sure, but it certainly doesn't appear to be cost effective, are there any suppliers you know of that i could see prices for?
I agree with the others but if you must then try this site

[Image: eagle.png]
PM muppet for the overseas contacts, or for a local supplier, contact Mouldman
[Image: 36487379910_dbb9166743_o.png]

Alright i'll give them a go, thanks.
I honestly don't see how you could possibly make armour from scratch, that is accurate enough to be 501st approvable for anything under quite a few grand. And that's assuming you make everything right the first go...

Once done, you would be able to make and re-make armour at will, but it would be a costly process to set up, and learn. Even then, you won't be ready to troop in under a year or two....

MM would have a good idea of what this stuff costs to set up....
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
I don't understand how people seem to think accuracy comes from pouring money in, i think making accurate armour would come from spending time making the moulds.
The process of vacuum forming is generally the same with everyone, the only thing that changes is the moulds, which come down to how good you are with sculpting/woodworking.
There are pepakura files available for stormtrooper armour and helmet.

From what I've seen they turn out quite well if you put the work into it.

Have a look on the Replica Prop Forum.
Welcome to the forums, bodieh.

I'd like to wish you all the very best on the task you have set for yourself.

I look forward to reading your build thread and watching the progress of your moulds. Please take lot's of pix for us.

Regards,

Scotty
Real democracy is not something that can be palmed off with a click of a mouse once a year, a crossed box and crossed fingers.

Democracy is for life, not just elections.

I survived Dreamworld 2010DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
(Friday 11-Feb-2011, 07:50 PM)crypto Wrote:  There are pepakura files available for stormtrooper armour and helmet.

From what I've seen they turn out quite well if you put the work into it.

Have a look on the Replica Prop Forum.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion, i managed to find all the armour pieces as Pepakura files, they look really good.

And thanks scotsman, shall do.