One more for the 'new recruit' fray!
Hi everybody, my name is Doug. I've seen you guys at work a number of times and have always been deeply impressed with the attention to detail of your costumes and the positive attitude you have always put over to those around you, especially the kids (including my own).

I'm 35, live in Norman Park - Brisbane, and have been a star wars fan for a long time now, I still remember playing with all my star wars toys when I was a kid (to think what they would have been worth now!). Over the last couple of years I've been looking to commit some time to charitable or volunteer work, to see that I could mix that need with an interest in something like the 501st Garrison is fantastic. I must say that the idea of playing a character fully masked, free of any inhibitions, is also an added bonus and makes the whole much easier to undertake.

I understand the road is a long one towards being fully accepted as a member, I am willing to commit time as an assistant at events to help out short of a costume.

I should add that I'm also 6ft 5"; does this present any problems with costuming? Are stormtroppers traditionally of a similar size etc? Are there particular costumes and characters more suited to someone of my height?

As for the characters, I've had a perchance towards the dark side. Who wants to be part of the goody-two-shoes rebel alliance when you can have the power! The storm troopers, the imperial guards, the imperial gunners and most defiantly the TIE fighters are my favourite characters. Although being so tall I think I could pull off a rather cutting figure as an imperial officer.

I am willing to put in the time, and the funds necessary towards a costume, and to commit to making efforts towards the Garrisons goal of raising funds for good causes. I've seen the fun and awe you guys invoke on the kids faces (let alone all the middle aged star wars fans that faces light up when they see you guys).

Any advice or help towards contributing would be appreciated; any particular needs for particular costumes would be listened to, but mostly "what can I do to help?"

Hope to hear from some of you..... Great work guys, truly!

Hi Doug, welcome aboard mate. Your height wont be a problem we have a few tall guys here that wear armour, you'd be great for a Vader, though a Vader can be very expensive.
There are plenty of people here that can help with whatever costume you go with.
[Image: 47f92236e9a9fa48.png]
:cv::dw11::cvi:GCSN13:DW13:
Welcome to the Redback Garrison Doug.
I'm 6 2" and there are a few other 6 foot plus troopers in the garrison.
Do plenty of research and go with the costume that inspires you.
I survived Dreamworld 2010:dw11:DW2012:DW13:
I survived Supanova 2010:sn11::cv:CVI
Far out guys, I don't even know where to start. I notice that a number of members have more than one costume.... I also notice that some costumes are bought outright from reputable suppliers (any good ones you could suggest) and some are made from scratch (high comendabale) but a little out of my artistic range I think.... I wanna' help, contribute and join in.... stormtroopers are always cool..... tie fighters are a personnal favourite..... Darth Vader seems a little egocentric for what I'd like to provide, not sure I have the personality to pull it off Smile..... how did you guys start?
Hey Doug.

Welcome to the RBG, myself 6"1 & waiting on my armour to start off as a TK

See you around the way Smile
Jag
(Wednesday 6-Apr-2011, 11:27 AM)ddennell Wrote:  Far out guys, I don't even know where to start. I notice that a number of members have more than one costume.... I also notice that some costumes are bought outright from reputable suppliers (any good ones you could suggest) and some are made from scratch (high comendabale) but a little out of my artistic range I think.... I wanna' help, contribute and join in.... stormtroopers are always cool..... tie fighters are a personnal favourite..... Darth Vader seems a little egocentric for what I'd like to provide, not sure I have the personality to pull it off Smile..... how did you guys start?

If I interpret your post correctly I think ppl start off with whatever character inspires them most & then from there take the time to go through the different links etc to source a supplier for there impression.
Muppet can provide you with a number of links.
If you mean how did the RBG start, there's a link someone where on forum home I believe. *Yes I read it but that was ages ago, lol*
Jag
[Image: SigII.jpg]
"There is no hunting like the hunting of a man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter".
Ernest Hemingway
Cool..... where did you order yours from? I was just looking at a website...

http://www.tk409.com/tk409.html
Hi Doug and welcome along.

I agree with Jag, make a costume that inspires you or that you have a close affinity with, and from what you have said it sounds like a Tie Fighter Pilot.

Chat to Muppet he can give you the run down on where to get the armour etc required for what ever you decide to build. Don't be afraid to build from scratch. Most of the stuff comes in kit form and you cut trim sand to suit your body type. There are always people around to give you a hand. Best thing to do is try and get to an armour party or meet us at a troop and have a look at the armour types etc.

I started with a Stormtrooper...always loved them and always wanted to be one...and now I am Smile.
Good luck mate...and don't forget to ask heaps of questions.
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."

DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
BN14GCSN15
(Wednesday 6-Apr-2011, 12:06 PM)ddennell Wrote:  Cool..... where did you order yours from? I was just looking at a website...

http://www.tk409.com/tk409.html

ah yes TK 409, I've known of his website for a number of yrs now, you'll find with him he doesn't sell armour but goes to show what you can achieve with a bit of time, commitment & thinking outside of the box.
I lot of members here would be able to assist you in this area.
I however am not at all good with kit sets & such *sigh*

The armour I decided on is extremely expensive & as per what I wrote above I went with the *Ready to Wear Kit* lol... & as such a bit more pricy than his kit set version. No doubt I'll need to make a few minor adjustments.
I've always wanted this set from this particular person who I stumbled across quite by accident around 2005/06
In no way do I encourage yourself or anyone to buy from this person since you can get just as good a quality from other ppl & at a greatly reduced price than what I've paid but since you asked here's the link.

http://www.sdsprops.com/home.html

In case your wondering, I went with the Ready to Wear Kit, Hero Helmet, E-11 with Holster.
A few ppl have asked me how much but I've always side stepped that question lol... but you can add it up on the website.
My boots are sourced fm a supplier in the States & I'm still waiting on a reply fm them on a estimate for an arrival date even though I paid them almost a month ago.
Jag
"There is no hunting like the hunting of a man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter".
Ernest Hemingway
I will most certainly be having a look tonight..... must admit that my rough estimates were looking at me putting in around a grand for something worthy enough of displaying in public... Smile
(Wednesday 6-Apr-2011, 04:15 PM)ddennell Wrote:  I will most certainly be having a look tonight..... must admit that my rough estimates were looking at me putting in around a grand for something worthy enough of displaying in public... Smile

I wouldn't have a clue as to the cost of setting up one's self for a TK impression but no doubt way cheaper than what I paid for going with SDS
Whatever you decide & go with I wish you the best Smile
Jags
Ernest Hemingway
Welcome to the forums!

~$1K sounds about right for a TK setup, though I am not an expert by a long shot.
-----------------------------
DW2012
~ Because overkill is never enough ~

Stuff I do...
- Stormtrooper
- Imperial Officer
- Photographer (Canon EOS 7D)
- Paramedic (NSW Ambulance)
Welcome aboard, Doug!

There's loads of great costumes in the 501st. I think Muppet has put links to most of the costumes in the 501st Costumes forum - http://www.501st.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29
Worth a look if you need inspiration!

I started out with a TK.
Then made an Imperial Officer.
Then went the whole-hog and created Ventress.

It's addictive! It really is!

Best of luck,
Mox
I survived Dreamworld 2010CVI
DW2011CVII
DW2012
DW2013
DW2014
DW2015
Hi and welcome!

Go With whatever character you want to do first.

There is always time to do more later.
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
It certainly looks addictive, can't believe I never thought of looking for something like you guys before. TK seems like best foot forward.... Not sure I'm ready to stand out like be tress just yet.... Smile
Welcome to the forums Ddennell.

Some good links for armour through Muppet as its part of his role within the RBG. Moxxxie has also pointed you in the right direction for his links. To send a personal message find a post of his and click on it and the menu will appear to send PM. From there he will be able to direct you.

About a grand is right for a basic Stormtrooper which is a great way to start. I am a little biased towards Stormtroopers as I only have two costumes and they are both Stormtroopers. One is over 10 years old and not very wearable so I had to replaced it with a more durable one.

A Tie fighter pilot is also a very simple costume to do as there is not a lot of hard armour building involved. Also it has a much higher comfort factor.

As the other guys have mentioned ... best to do what you are going to love wearing first.

ScOrP
[Image: 02aScorp-FRONT.jpg][Image: expert_infantry_badge1.png]
Prior to entering the Cell Bay-"Alright...Once the door opens..don't get shot or trip over...OK !!"