Supernova Hi
Hey guys,

My name is Todd Best. I just got home from Supanova in Brissy and after seeing you guys in action and spending some time chatting with a few of you I am super keen to get a star wars kit together.

I have previously been a part (few years ago) of a medieval reenactment group and constructed 14th Century armour, which was combat ready equipment constructed in steel. I really enjoyed the costuming and acting element of this reenactment, but these days not interested in full contact combat. After speaking with some of your members I really like the idea of doing something you love while supporting charity. That's just awesome!

I am really interested in sorting out a Boba Fett kit and have a few bits and pieces for this kit already, which I bought off ebay many years ago and has been sitting in a box under the house for way too long. It's about time I dust it all off and put the damn thing together.

The gear I currently own are fiberglass cast helmet, chest plates, shoulder plates and a set of crappy gauntlets. None of this stuff is painted and needs a heap of work.

So in saying all that, I have never put together a movie quality star wars costume and I'm very noob in relation to what and how I'm going to construct this kit. Any pointers as a starting place would be very welcomed. I would love to get this together so I may look one day to joining your ranks.

Thanks in advance Todd.

(P.S. I hope I posted this in the right area.)
Welcome Todd,

I would suggest signing up on the 501st BHG forum (bounty hunters guild) they specialize in all thing Bounty hunter related. Also check out the Dented Helmet forum, which is usually more active than the BHG forum.

There are also a couple of approved Boba's in the Redbacks, and a couple more in the works, so might be worth having a chat with them.

Welcome!!
Stormtroopers...Unquestioned loyalty
Hey Tod...welcome to the Redbacks.
Jump on over to BHG as muppet said also check out TDH The Dented Helmet a wealth of knowledge at both. I got a lot of my info from both I am in the process of making my ESB Boba so we can bounce questions off each other if you like.
Cheers
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."

DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
BN14GCSN15
hey todd i remember talking to you today. glad you made it on to the forum mate. good luck with the build.
A man in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested. 
Gday Todd firstly welcome, I was one of the guys you spoke to today and I have found that joining the Redbacks has been a decision I have not regreted at all. Next if you are free on the 4th of Dec SithPrincess is having an AP ( Armor Party ) which is party were people get together and make up their armor, and get advice on what works and dosen't. So if you are free come along meet some more members and show us what you have.
Welcome Todd. Smile
G'days Todd, welcome to the Redback Garrison.
Hey all, thanks for the quick reply's and helpful hints.

I have now checked out BHG and TDH. Wow there really is a heap of info out there! I think my brain is turning to mush with the overload of info, but once I get through that I'm sure I might even be able to make my first step on this kit.

Looking at the armour bits I already own from years ago, I'm guessing this kit is going to be ROTJ considering the battle damage. Mind you I'm not sure these armour bits are any good really, I think I may just use the helmet and remake/bye the rest of the armour fresh.

Thanks once again to Jimcricket, Stormraven and anyone else I annoyed at Supanova, you guys have really got me interested in joining up as I'm now super motivated to get this thing to happen. In relation to the SithPrincess AP, I have that day free so if you can PM me the details at some point I'd love to attend. It would be awesome to meet a few more 501st members and I look forward to you guys tell me my ebay armour is rubbish, in which case I'll start work on my Junkgo Fett kit instead Wink

Todd

Welcome!

What Medieval group were you with?, a few of us are associated with the SCA....
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
Hi Wolf,

Don't hold it against me, but I was a member of KOLR (Knights Order of Lion Rampant). I was a member of the group at 2 different periods spanning like about 7 years of membership. I really like the 14th Century look and feel, hence KOLR.

I ended up leaving the group because the combat and more so the politics didn't agree with me. A couple of years ago the group splintered and that's when I decided to let my armour get rusty.

SCA you say... I have known a few members of SCA over the years as well, so perhaps I've bumped into a few of you guys in the past. It will be interesting to find out.
Yeah, I am guessing we may know a few of the same people.

Anyhow, I have derailed your thread now. Smile
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
Hey Todd, Welcome to the redbacks.

I was talking to you a bit on Saturday at the Booth.
Glad to see you joined up, we are a freindly bunch.
Click HERE for the link to Sith Princess' AP thread.
Being able to sit down and chat with us in a relaxed environment is always a great way to get started and get the motivation.

Cheers mate.
I survived Dreamworld 2010
DW2011
DW2012
DW2013
DW2014
DW2015
Hi Todd, I think I spoke to you as well, I remember talking to someone mentioning a Boba Fett suit. You can check out the main 501st website, 501st.com, which has the costume standards on it, & links to the detachment sites, as you'd be eligible to associate with the bounty hunters detachment. Also here on our boards in the armour sections, etc, there are various tips & build threads that are likely to help you. But as Stormraven said, get you to an Armour Party, as it gives you a chance to look at other peoples stuff up close, ask questions on how to do stuff, get help, get opinions, & get to know us.

Of course, until you get your kit together, you can always come troop with us as a wrangler/assistant, you would have seen that all of us are not in costume all the time, as some always need to be watching out for those who are costumed up - it can be hard to see once you're kitted up! We can always use the help of wranglers, & I enjoy it just as much as trooping in costume. Which is good since as I'm 7.5 months pregnant, my armour doesn't fit!

Hope to see you at another troop soon!

Mel
CV:sn11::DW11::SN2011v2:DW2012:GCSN12:CVI:DW13:
G'day Todd and welcome to the Redbacks!
[Image: ytpTSHu.png]

Science! Because figuring things out is better than making stuff up.