Darth Raijin says Hi
Hi All
My name is Daniel. In 2012 at the GC Supanova while walking around in my very dodgy Vader "costume" I saw some of you guys have pics taken ect I was impressed with all your out fits. So I have decided to take the plunge and get an outfit fitting of the Redback's. I thought about whom I would want to try first taking "cooling" into consideration I decided to go with Maul. Then started reading what was involved Eek
But I shall rise to the challenge. I may be the only male in the sewing class I will be doing but hey I never never been one to run away from a room full of insane Women. After checking out the CRL I looked into TB's book Dressing a Galaxy. What better place to look than the chick who made it.
But all she says about Mauls costume is:
The black, layered, kimono-style underrobes of Darth Maul, with varying lengths of split and hanging skirts, allowed for a great deal of movement during his extensive, complex fight sequences. His cloak, inspired by a photograph of a Tibetan lama taken about 1940, was made of hand-dyed, coarsely woven silk-and-linen fabric. Its many shoulder to ankle length circular pieces were sunray-pleated, creating a narrow silhouette when motionless, but in combat swirling out into a full circular shape, like a fabric Shuriken (Ninja throwing blade) cutting through the air
Welcome and good luck
DW2013 to DW2018
Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the Redback Forums... Smile

Wow... Darth Maul... That is one incredible Costume to attempt for your first one...

We have a couple of really Good Darth Mauls in our midst, and I'm sure that they would be more than happy to help you on your way...

Good luck with it, and Welcome again...

Oh, by the way... If you haven't already, sign up and introduce yourself on the Sith Lord forum... Here's the link for you... Wink

http://forum.501stsithlords.com/

DW2012 BN12
GCSN13 :DW13:
Gday Raijin and welcome to the Redbacks. The biggest problem you will find with Darth Maul isn't so much his costume but the tattoos, I think one of our guys ( hopfot )has had his Darth Maul rejected 3 or 4 times because they weren't quite right. Still he is an iconic character and tends to draw a crowd.

Also there is an Armour Party on the 3rd of Feb if you are free come along so you can get to meet some of the garrison. And the is always the off chance some armour is being put together so you will have a chance to see some costumes up close and ask/get some advice on your build.

Feel free to ask questions as you go along as it is better to ask too many silly questions than not enough smart ones.
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
Welcome to the Redback Forums, Daniel!
Good to see you on the forums Daniel and welcome to the Redbacks
Welcome Smile

I'm a huge Maul fan too (might be a build in the near future yet)
Welcome Daniel.
Check out the CRL for Maul it will show you the requirements for 501st approval for this costume.
http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:SL-Maul
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."

DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
BN14GCSN15
Welcome Daniel, good luck with your build.

Don't stress about the sewing thing, I actually got a sewing machine for Christmas and while I'm only at the basic level of making Snap Plates & Straps I would like to learn more.
Stormtroopers: instant recognition combined with complete anonymity
:GCSN12: DW2012 BN12 GCSN13 :DW13: