joining the team
Hi there, i would like to know how do I go about becoming a member and getting a start up costume, meaning something not too expensive and joining the team. I would like to know what costumes are available for me to purchase. I am 44 years old and a big big fan of star wars saga, ever since I saw the first movie in 1978 when I was 8 and fell in love with it all.Peace
welcome to the madhouse Smile

first off do you have a specific costume in mind to do first?

have a look through the CRL's (http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRL) to get some ideas and see whats expected of the costume

Next you will prob want to show up to a AP (Armour Party) or one of our troops and see the kit up close and pick brains in person

Also dont but anything without checking back here as even if it says officially licensed does not necessarily mean its actually accurate enough.

Smile dont be put off as while 501st have high standards expected of costumes they are achievable
DW2013 to DW2018
welcome Smile
Welcome Gojipoj, if you are after something less expensive to start with ( and it will be just the start ) I would suggest something along the lines of a Reserve Pilot, Rebel Fleet Trooper or Imperial Officer. Their main advantage is that many of the items can been bought "off the shelf" and usually require little or no modifications. And while Stormtroopers are very iconic they can require some work and time.

And believe me if you loved watching the movies being part of that universe is just fantastic. Jig
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
Without sounding like a Rebel sympathiserHehehewhich I am, a few of us dual 501st/RL members have a RFT's (rebel fleet trooper), it's an easy one to do.

If you want to turn to the dark side, a Reserve pilot or Imperial crewman is the way to go, if you want an 501st approvable costume.
ONE SHOT. ONE KILL. NO EXCEPTIONS

I survived Dreamworld 2010I survived Supanova 2010:dw11SadJUST)
Welcome to the Redbacks, you could also be a Jawa your never too tall and they are cheap and dual membership
BN12GCSN13:DW13:
(Sunday 9-Jun-2013, 08:25 PM)MammaSith Wrote:  Welcome to the Redbacks, you could also be a Jawa your never too tall and they are cheap and dual membership

I got told that I am too tall to be a Jawa. Sad Welcome to the best Garrison in all of the land down under.
(Sunday 9-Jun-2013, 12:39 AM)stormraven Wrote:  I would suggest something along the lines of a Reserve Pilot, Rebel Fleet Trooper or Imperial Officer.

Welcome!

A Jawa or a Tusken Raider are not to much to put together either.

Most of the "soft" costumes are not too bad price wise.
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
Welcome to the Redback Forums... Smile

DW2012 BN12
GCSN13 :DW13:
Thank you every one for the replies. I would like to know how much does the Darth Vader costume cost please? Where can I get one etc, I am also interested on the Storm troopers, Boba Fett as well. Where are the meetings or gatherings held. How do choose my name or do I use my sign in name. Cheers fellow enthusiasts.
Vader and Fett are very expensive to build (think $5k plus). Vader also has a fairly high ongoing maintenance cost (batteries and ice for the cool suit).

A Stormtrooper can be done for around $1200-ish

You won't be able to buy any of the costumes "off the rack" be day to wear unless you are very lucky and find someone your size that is sells off an old costume. Any of the ready made costumes you see on places like eBay will NOT be approvable.

We don't have any fixed venues for meetings, if you check the events link at the top left of the site you will see all our upcoming events. Some of these will be "armour parties" or APs, which are a great opportunity to see various costumes and ask lots of questions.

As for your username, you chose it when you signed up. However, you can PM Moxxxie and ask her nicely to change it.
You can be any height to be a Jawa, they come in all shapes and sizes. (I'm a bit surprised that anyone would tell you that you can't be one???)
Welcome to the garrison, where abouts are you, we've got troopers far and wide now across the farthest reaches of this great state, so we probably have someone near you.
Try to get yourself to an Armour Party (AP) that way you can get up close to the costumes and talk to members about what they are actually like to troop in.

Enjoy this crazy journey, it is so very rewarding and so very worth it.

Michael (Angelman TK6729)
DW2012 :DW13: :DW14:
:GCSN12: GCSN13  GCSN14
I'm THAT guy from the video, 501st Documentary (Link)
Hi there,I'm in Runaway Bay, I would like to meet like minded people. Where or when is the next Armor Party, I would love to come along ? My sister and her new husband are also very keen to join in the fun. I am looking forward to meeting you all in the near future. If there is or are any members near me I'm happy to catch up and see some costumes perhaps. I think I would love to have Darth Vader outfit however I would have to save for a while. I would be delighted with a storm trooper costume. I will check the costumes and go from there, cheers
Welcome to the Redback Forums,
There are some events on this weekend, Lego Brisbrick event on at Pine Rivers is on both Saturday and Sunday and you can see some costumes in the flesh-so to speak.
Just check the events calendar in the header of the forums.

Ken
i there I really appreciate the feed backs and support, I can't wait to get my costumes, is there anyone that lives on the Gold Coast that i could perhaps arrange a time to visit to say gday. I live in Runaway Bay and I would be more than happy to meet some enthusiast fans. Cheers,