Southern brother dropping in!
Hi gang!

I'm Trav (Werstrooper) from the SCG just popping in to say hi and also maybe ask a couple questions. Smile

I had the pleasure of meeting some of you at the Trooper Trek gathering in Sydney a while back, that was a fun night and a hangover to never forget! I was the awkward guy that gave Jacob the Trophy. lol

So the point of my post is, as some of you may be aware that Newcastle and the Hunter Valley is forming its very own Squad (Yay exciting time for us) and I wanted to use this chance to try and make the squad something special for everyone involved.

After meeting you guys in Sydney and seeing the way you are together as a group, is special. My wife and I both agree that you (The Redback group) have a very family friendly vibe and seem very close as a group.

So I'm here for your input, suggestions on what and what NOT to do? do you have any 'Do's and Do nots' ?

Finding time to get all members together for a catchup can be tricky at the best of times, do you guys have any methods or routines in place for regular meetups ect?

How long did your squad take to form? meaning when you asked to form the squad did it take a long time to get up and running?

As an outsider to the SCG what do you think would be a great image to represent the Newcastle/Hunter squad?

I did have some other Q's that have slipped my mind right now so I'll pop back in later to ask a couple more. This is the second time I've typed this thread and it's a bit different to the first. Last Friday I typed this up and submitted it just to lose it after the site asked me to sign in. So I'm back for another try today!

Really look forward to reading some answers and hearing what you guys have for suggestion! Smile

Peace out!
From your Hunter brother!
Trav
TK3623
PM sent. More than happy to have a chat about squad formation. The issues you have when doing this.
Welcome to the Redback forums Travis!

I was one of the Redbacks who made the trip down to the Troopertrek Finale, and if I could remember any of the night then I am sure I would remember that it was a memorable night Smile

I will let some of the other Redbacks chime in regarding the dynamic within the Garrison, so I will just say a quick word about setting up a Squad.

We learned a lot when the Redback Squad was formed within TAG many years ago. It's important to make sure you are forming a squad for the right reasons - creating a localised identity and encouraging involvement are two starters.

When choosing a name and a logo, I would certainly suggest letting the rest of your Garrison be involved in the discussion thread, but when it comes time to vote on the name and logo, then voting would be open to just the proposed squad members themselves.

The Squad is NOT a separate entity from the Garrison, it is an enhancement and every effort needs to be taken to ensure that you don't end up with an 'Us & Them' scenario between the Squad and the rest of the Garrison.

You also mentioned that it is tricky trying to get everyone together for a catch-up, but be that as it may, it is important that you try and do that as much as you can. Forums are great, but there is no substitute for getting together at an armour party and meeting face-to-face.

With regards to the processes involved in establishing the Longfin Squad here in the Queensland, there had already long been an expectation that there would be a number of 'geographical' squads emerge in the Redbacks. Having this planned structure in place ensured that the process was pretty painless for the Longfins, as I'm sure it will be for the other squads we are expecting over the next few years.

"a great image to represent the Newcastle/Hunter squad? " - The 501st is famous for it's (Bounty) Hunters! Wink

Kev Vader
Hey Travis
Welcome!
I've been a Redback 6 months and am blown away by how friendly, generous, knowledgable and supportive the Garrison is. I put it down to the Qld disposition but who knows...
I have a great recruit in Newcastle for ya when you're ready! He'll be a great asset. Let me know how I can get you guys in contact!
Hi Travis,
I too was at Troopertrek. Was a great weekend.

Your plans sound great.

Kev pretty much said it all. Make sure you don't seperate yourselves from the rest of your Garrison. Be very much a part of it, but have the bonus of being a group with geographical support.

Try and get together whenever you can, and try to have somone from your squad be the POC or organiser of Troops in your area.

Involve everyone in the decisions as best you can.

And just generally be supportive and respectful of everyone whether they are in your squad, garrison, or anywhere else in the Legion.

But I'm sure you guys would do that anyway. Doppeldaumen1
Bunnies..... The cutest things ever!
Hi Travis. Welcome!

Sorry to change tracks a little, but are any of you guys coming up for the Brisbane supernova?
It might be a good chance to chat in person about this sort of stuff.....
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
Thanks heaps for the replies and welcome gang.

I'll get around to replying those PM's soon. just wanted to say thanks and hopefully I can stay in touch more and keep you all in the loop.

Currently trying to design a logo for the squad and also help some new members with their armour, so busy times!

Trav