Redback Garrison

Full Version: DSAQ Step up event 20th October
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Date:
Sunday 20th of October 2013

Venue:
Captain Burke Park (under the Story Bridge), Holman St, Kangaroo Point

Time:
10am - 12pm

Mission:
This is an event that the Downe Syndrome Society of Australia having started holding annually to bring awareness to this very special group of people. This was the 3rd year and we have been involved with them.

Trooper Attendance:
RBG:
TD 22422 Baytrooper
CC 69696 Benji
DZ 15070 RebelRach
ID 4056 Stormraven

GA:
BH Jackson Lloyd

Support Crew / Guest Trooper Attendance:
ALRAKIS
CAVX
Cre8tiv

Details:
After securing parking under the Bridge troopers started to armor up and prepare to bring an Imperial presence to this worthy event. Even though it was only a short walk to the staging area a number of citizens stopped us for some photo ops along the way. When we did arrive at the staging area our first task was to help give out ballons to the walkers though one Jawa baby tried to keep them all to herself. While all the Redbacks were understandably popular our mini Fett and Jawa baby drew a lot of attention, and many photos were taken.

As the time to start the walk drew near we were tasked with carrying the banner and leading the walk. We then proceeded for a short walk around the park and finished up under the Story Bridge for a large group photo and to release the balloons. We then mingled with the walkers and with the Nova 106.9 radio team and the Firies and their Commander Fox themed truck.

After bringing about much joy to many citizens we then de-armored and enjoyed the hospitality of the DSAQ BBQ.

Injuries / Malfunctions:
None reported though some troopers have been enjoying too much of their rations lately.

Public Incidents:
We were "adopted" by one of the children (Hannah) again and is already looking forward to seeing us next year.

Mission Status:
Once again the crowd loved our presence and were sent the following by the DSAQ organizer I want to thank you for a very special day yesterday. Your happy smiles and amazing presence made the day. I would also like to thank you for your hard work and dedication to making the day one to remember for our families. There is a very special young lady who will remember yesterday for a very long time.

Photos:
Photos to come
Great report Stormraven, a really good Troop with so much fun and such obvious happiness from the DS kids, who were so delighted to have the 501st at their special day (I think we may have an new recruit in Hannah ?). It occurs to me that at every Troop I take the GA's to, we all get so much more back from the people that ask for the Imperial presence - even the GA kids understand that and look forward to attending (especially) these sorts of events.

Photos are here - http://s906.photobucket.com/user/tlloyd6...Oct%202013

and I'll post a few more (can't seem to embed more than one at a time in a reply)
Thanks again Stormraven for having us there.
Just a collection of photos from the Photobucket A/C in the previous post
Thanks for the awesome photos Tony!