Redback Garrison
Under 18 Padawans - Printable Version

+- Redback Garrison (https://www.501st.com.au/forum)
+-- Forum: General Forums (https://www.501st.com.au/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: 501st Legion Explained / Membership Requirements (https://www.501st.com.au/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Under 18 Padawans (/thread-6528.html)

Pages: 1 2

Under 18 Padawans - Rayvn - Monday 20-May-2013

Hi,
Could we please get some clarification on what our under 18's can and can't do until they turn 18? I think we need to eliminate grey areas as far as
*Wrangling - should under 18's wrangle?
* Dressing rooms
* encouraging our 17 year olds to join the Galactic Academy and give them something to work towards
* Can the Galactic Academy have more involvement in the appropriate troops and events so that they feel more included. Maybe the older Academy cadets could go through a pre-training course where they get rewards/ certificate as they progress to full membership? With the 17 year old's, help with doing their first Redback costume so when they turn 18 their approval could be a right of passage? Maybe we could organise their own armour parties?
* Mentors for the 17 year olds to show them the ropes.

I just feel the 17 year cadets that we have are super keen. We should encourage them as much as possible within the charter rules. At the moment they hang in limbo - no longer a child but not quite adult enough to join full membership?

RE: Under 18 Padawans - stormraven - Monday 20-May-2013

(Monday 20-May-2013, 11:15 AM)Duck Wrote:  I just feel the 17 year cadets that we have are super keen. We should encourage them as much as possible within the charter rules. At the moment they hang in limbo - no longer a child but not quite adult enough to join full membership?

I agree some of the older GA members are in a bit of twighlight zone and as we grow some of these issues will continue to come up at times.

I like the idea of a providing a mentor for cadets ( not just GA ones ). In the JRS we have just started a mentoring program for new pilots ( I am the one for the Redbacks ) and the idea is to give them a "POC" for questions and the like.

RE: Under 18 Padawans - stormybrite - Monday 20-May-2013

I think the mentor idea is great - and not just for our under 18's but also anyone new to Redbacks who is out wrangling for a few times. I know when I first started wrangling, I was pretty unsure on a lot of things and it does make it very nerve wracking.

RE: Under 18 Padawans - MammaSith - Monday 20-May-2013

I agree with Duck, I think at a troop maybe these cadets could given a 'buddy' or a brief on what is and isn't allowed, we have to remember that teenagers of any age need guidance as this is all very exciting but also very new to them. It would be great if GA could be more active with GA weekends like they have have overseas. Is there a GA liaison in Australia / Queensland ?

RE: Under 18 Padawans - Rayvn - Monday 20-May-2013

I worry about the wrangling side for the under 18's. Some troopers do have serious illnesses while others have had issues of many varieties. There was a recent thread on wrangling and it is quite a responsibility that I feel is not right to put on the shoulders of our young members to be. Maybe only let them wrangle with an assigned member who is also wrangling - show them the ropes?
I do think with the amount of families becoming involved with children ( who will grow or already are teens) and the teenagers who take an interest in joining - the Galactic Academy should be promoted more. Also make the older Galactic age group more interactive and active so the likes of the current 17 year olds aren't floating as wranglers. Give them their own identity and ability to troop under the Galactic banner?

Good point also Stormybright - we have lots of newby's coming in needing help Smile

RE: Under 18 Padawans - JOker - Monday 20-May-2013

Pretty sure Scope is some type of liaison for the GA.

RE: Under 18 Padawans - Kev Vader - Monday 20-May-2013

From the outset, the 501st Legion has had a number (but not many) constraints placed upon it by Lucasfilm. The most pertinent of these is the need for 501st members to be aged 18 or over. By acquiescing to this stipulation, the Legion devolves itself of a myriad of issues which arise with having ‘underage’ members using the forums, attending events, spending money, being covered by insurance etc.

The Galactic Academy is a relatively new organisation. It came about simply due to there being a ‘critical mass’ of kids with above average costumes around the world. The fact that the majority of the kids are those of 501st members may have something to do with that. Here in Redbackland we had discussed over the years (even when we were a Squad) how best we could go about encompassing the ‘Kid’s in Costume’ scenario. It eventually got put in the Too Hard basket – not because we were lazy, but because it WAS too hard. There was just no simple way of striking a balance between ‘Kids trooping in Costume’ and ‘Childminding Service conducted by people with poor mobility and even worse vision’.

Whilst the Galactic Academy provides those aged 0-17.99 with a collective identity, that is ALL it does; It does not provide a conduit, or a right, for kids in costume to troop with either the 501st or the Rebel Legion at any event. Having kids in costume at an event is something that cannot happen all the time, and when it does there MUST be a Parent or Guardian in attendance at ALL times.

Again, this is another situation where Common Sense must prevail, and we have, again been blessed with members here in the Redbacks who exercise such common sense when trooping with their kids is concerned.

As pointed out, there are some Cadets and Galactic Academy members who are approaching the age of 18. ‘Almost 18’ does not equal ‘Over 18’ - this is just the way of the world, and myself, the Command Staff, and the Garrison in general can only provide leeway that both the law and the Legion Charters’ will allow.

As such, if you are under 18 then you are not yet eligible to become a member of the club, and therefore when you attend an event it can only be an event at which Galactic Academy attendance is explicitly approved, and only in the presence of a Parent or Guardian who must be responsible for your supervision at all times. Persons under 18 are not permitted to act as Support Crew or Wranglers, and will also not be permitted into secure change areas unless explicitly permitted by the Event Requestor and then only if accompanied by a Parent or Guardian.

I do understand that those Galactic Academy members who are between 17 and 18 have a desire to troop events independent of their parent or guardian, but the membership age requirement is pretty clear and unequivocal. We have had cadets who have been in this situation before, and I am sure that we will have cadets in the future who will be in the same situation, but being 18 is a clear line in the sand, not just for trooping but for most things in life.

Kev Vader

RE: Under 18 Padawans - stormraven - Monday 20-May-2013

Thanks for that Kev I understand this is hard issue to deal with. The next issue is to tell these 17-18 years old what their limitations are. At the moment I think WrigZach is the only GA member who falls into this category do you want me to talk to him about this?

He also has another unusual situation in that his parents live in Mackay and ( I think ) he does not have a guardian down here, will this stop him from being eligible to attend troops?

RE: Under 18 Padawans - Rayvn - Tuesday 21-May-2013

Thank you Kev, that's definitely cleared the muddy waters. I don't think it will be an issue to tell the only 17 year old what his limitations are. If this is all explained to 17 year olds right at the onset rather than telling them they can wrangle until they are 18, this lets them know where they stand. Maybe see if his parents are happy for someone to be appointed as guardian until he is 18?

RE: Under 18 Padawans - wrigzach - Tuesday 21-May-2013

Wow I feel loved :P
But all jokes aside thanks very much for clearing it up Kev, if possible to have a gardian I have no problem cause I do a similar thing with cadets (the joys of not beyond 18)... But that's if possible, if not I don't mind waiting till November if it will be to much of a issue, but whatever works really. And I apologise if I have broken rules because I've been told 10000 different things in reguards to this...

RE: Under 18 Padawans - Bullant - Tuesday 21-May-2013

This one is older than his years Wink

In other words, well done on taking what could be considered bad news and dealing with it in a mature manure well beyond your age Smile

You are to kind Smile
But its good to have this outlined now, me personally I joined here first then soon after got directed to GA which may have helped in the confusion where as had I have been in GA for a long time it wouldn't have really happened. Being in my situation I think if new cadets come as the garrison grows that are in a similar situation, they should be directed to GA but also it should be made clear what they can and cannot do.
Because as previously mentioned I don't mind helping out and doing a few 'wrangling' type roles but if this isn't allowed then they and other members should be told this because I often got sent on wrangling type roles (not that I mind) but this breaks the rules of being a GA member attending these activities.

RE: Under 18 Padawans - Agent Smith - Tuesday 21-May-2013

If you are unsure, have a chat with Seantrooper, he was in this situation. He turned 18 just last year, he had a couple of costumes already for turning 18.

RE: Under 18 Padawans - seantrooper - Tuesday 21-May-2013

actually I turned 18 last year Wink

but yes, I was in this situation. I had my TKC and TS finished and up to a high standard before I was 18, meaning that I got approved straight away on my birthday.

I think as long as your costume is up to standard and you act appropriately for your character, then you should be fine to troop... Just follow the lead of the more experienced troopers (that's what I did)

I do agree with not having them as the only wrangler, but it is good to get wrangling experience and would think under the supervision/guidance of an experienced member it should be ok Smile

Thanks Sean, Well provided I am able to make someone my guardian in this regard then I should be right. Because getting parents down 1000/1200km to a event isn't an option :P Not a big deal if I cant attend any more until November cause in retrospect I should probably be concentrating on study and this career in defense that I might have in July/ August if all goes well in which case all this will be going on hold anyway. But we will see what happens, though if anyone decides to do a road trip to Mackay again between July 1-7 then I could drag my parents there while I'm there Wink hahaha