Fallout 4 Sole Survivor
Last year I got hooked on Fallout 4. I acquired a PipBoy Edition and decided that it could be fun to put together a full sole survivor costume. I had planned to have it complete for Brisbane SupaNova 2016, and got it finished at 8:30am on the day we were going to attend. So what is to follow is the build thread for my costume (I haven’t included much on the vault suit as I bought that part and it didn’t need too much alteration). This build included a number of firsts for me - first foam build, first use of worbla, first use of airbrush, first scratch build (weapon, armour), and first non-Star Wars costume for me.

This is what I hoped to be able to recreate.

[Image: goal%20screenshot%201_zpscmrxiql7.jpg]

[Image: goal%20screenshot%202_zpsf8y063fk.jpg]

If anyone has any advice or ways to do things better, I would really appreciate the input from those with more experience than me.

Cheers

The first component was the Pip Boy. I picked up a Pip Boy Edition, but wasn’t happy with the base colour or the lack of weathering compared to the game. It started life looking like this:

[Image: pipboy%201_zpsuz0s96es.jpg]

First I stripped it back to it’s components, lightly sanded and primed all the parts.

[Image: pipboy%203_zpsvceoiwga.jpg]

[Image: pipboy%204_zpswskfoh4l.jpg]

Next, after comparing the screenshots of the in-game Pip Boy, I applied a mottled mix of rusty colours to select areas.

[Image: pipboy%205_zpsmghbg7bw.jpg]

[Image: pipboy%206a_zpsa3etkree.jpg]

The intent next was to use salt to mask off the rusted areas so when I applied the green colour the salt would chip away to reveal the rust underneath. Unfortunately in my haste to dry the paint and get the next step done, I discovered that the plastic used to make the item has a very low melting point. I left this part in front of a halogen light for ten minutes and returned to find it looking like this

[Image: pipboy%206_zpssggjvnea.jpg]

So now I had a new side project…recreate the destroyed component. I used a piece of MDF as the top plate and filled in underneath it with Fimo. Overall it worked out quite well, plus I got taught the valuable lesson of not trying to rush things

[Image: pipboy%207_zpsoq7rcla2.jpg]
(you can see in this first picture how the salt chipping method leaves the rust appearance)

[Image: pipboy%208_zpsk03fddpi.jpg]

[Image: pipboy%209_zpsu6imrpta.jpg]

[Image: pipboy%2010_zps2hbbtiin.jpg]

So with that crisis averted, I went back to the main task. Next thing I wanted was to replace all the plastic moulded screws with real ones. After much searching I found the perfect screw and began cutting off the originals and inserting the new ones.

[Image: pipboy%2011_zps5jggnoef.jpg]
(metal screw on the left and original moulded screw on the right)

With that done it was time to give the Pip Boy its new colours

[Image: pipboy%2012_zpssu4gjfaq.jpg]

[Image: pipboy%2013_zpsfvyenfqn.jpg]

[Image: pipboy%2014_zpslsnrlel5.jpg]

[Image: pipboy%2015_zpst8gj4ae7.jpg]

Then started applying the grime and weathering

[Image: pipboy%2016_zps1by2blvo.jpg]

Next I bought a 3D print of the 10mm pistol from Traywick Designs on Etsy. The pieces were really clean and fitted together beautifully.

[Image: pistol%203_zpsfgxdtsoh.jpg]

After some sanding and filling, it was an easy job to assemble and weather. The only addition to the kit was that I added in some real screws (again) to add to the detailing.

[Image: pistol%204_zpsfxutcxht.jpg]

[Image: pistol%205_zps82x13pyi.jpg]

[Image: pistol%206_zpsuhty5aqi.jpg]

I also picked up some bottle caps which I had custom printed to match the Nuka-Cola caps from the game. These came in looking really good, but of course, needed to be weathered.

[Image: caps%202_zpshqdelmqi.jpg]

Which left me with these props ready to go.

[Image: pipboy%20pistol%20caps_zpsfgzfmday.jpg]

Next, my scratch build rifle and armour…

I decided to have a go at building my first scratch built weapon. The combat rifle (below) was what I wanted.

[Image: rifle%201_zpsmlwr89rg.jpeg]

But I loved the barrel magazine on the shotgun

[Image: rifle%202_zpsvkxh5th9.jpg]

And since there is a real-world barrel magazine available for the AK-47, I figured that that would be an acceptable modification, even if it doesn’t appear in the game.

[Image: rifle%203_zps5rugmq0i.jpg]

I started with just an off cut of treated pine that I had lying around in the garage and used my Dremel to etch in the grip onto what would become the front of the rifle. I used a mahogany stain to darken up the timber as well.

[Image: rifle%204_zps836cdl0y.jpg]

Then using a pine plank (again, off cuts) I shaped up the butt stock

[Image: rifle%2012_zpsavmhk6jb.jpg]

Stained and cut a curtain rod to length for the barrel for the first test fitting.

[Image: rifle%205_zpslrillcc1.jpg]

Next I made the barrel magazine from an off cut of PVC pipe, worbla (my first ever use), and the lids off two mosquito coil tins!

[Image: rifle%206_zps6gat2vs6.jpg]

[Image: rifle%207_zpsy5iiry1h.jpg]

I then cut down some aluminium tubing and flat stock to create the gas system

[Image: rifle%208_zpsiw2lperu.jpg]

Lastly I created the receiver using a couple of different thicknesses of PVC pipe and filled with Knead-It to close off the gaps, and cut down an ping pong ball to make the rounded rear portion. To top it off I added a real rifle sight to the top.

[Image: rifle%2010_zpsxnpcqfih.jpg]

[Image: rifle%209_zpsznyyia9h.jpg]

[Image: rifle%2011_zpsybtmweai.jpg]

Finally I used some thin MDF to make the metal plates for around the cocking handle and ejection port, attached the magazine and trigger and it was done. Simple!!

[Image: IMG_0205_zpsxrkkxylo.jpg]

Lastly the body armour. This was my first attempt at crafting from foam and Worbla (aside from the Worbla I used on the magazine).

[Image: back%202_zpsrfzutmc6.jpg]

From the above I made a pattern and cut out the pieces from two thicknesses of foam and assembled

[Image: back%203_zpsyfaionvk.jpg]

[Image: back%204_zpslo9ekzpx.jpg]

Then covered in Worbla

[Image: 04551396-2a05-4b11-8912-a77c293f811b_zpssiqqpukd.jpg]

Attached the detail and began painting. I used a silver as the base coat and then the same salt method as I had used on the Pip Boy to create some chips and rust.

[Image: back%206_zpsbtvbtnpp.jpg]

[Image: back%207_zpsvdvucd9g.jpg]

[Image: back%208_zpskmpk45yq.jpg]

The process for the front was broadly the same except I wanted to put the BOS symbol on the front like the ref pic

[Image: chest%201_zpstbuh3nj9.jpg]

Assembled the foam and covered in Worbla again (I forgot to take pics through that part)

[Image: chest%202_zpslkek85t3.jpg]

When painting this time I applied the white patch with I would mask off to put on the BOS logo. Some of the weathering was done before and some after to get the logo to look suitably worn

[Image: chest%203_zpsixu2dryz.jpg]

To stencil the logo, I used a decal of the logo which i dusted the adhesive side with talcum powder to reduce its stickiness, then applied, top coated and removed the decal while the paint was still wet. I learned from a couple of testes that if I waited for the paint to dry too much it would lift when the decal was removed. I was really nervous starting the process, but very happy with the final result

[Image: chest%204_zpsyrdtn4m2.jpg]

And with the salt chipped away to reveal the rust

[Image: chest%205_zps93bztlwv.jpg]

Next piece of armour was the leg.

[Image: leg%201_zpsunyvzji2.jpg]

Again I formed it from foam

[Image: leg%202_zpswzigynkg.jpg]

Before covering with Worbla and painting

[Image: leg%203_zpsw5q1kxtr.jpg]

The final armour piece was the shoulder. For this I used a shoulder bell that came with the vault suit. I added some leather stitching and made barbed wire out of leather cord. Lightly sprayed it with a mix of rust and metallic paints and glued it wrapped over the shoulder bell

[Image: shoulder_zpshkq2y6xr.jpg]

So after all that, the results at Brisbane SupaNova were really well received. Making this costume was really challenging at times, but immensely rewarding and I learnt heaps about a bunch of new techniques in doing it.

Special thanks to Tirilia for so much advice and bouncing ideas off throughout the process. Thanks heaps Liz!!

[Image: finished%201_zpskg15shph.jpg]

[Image: finished%202_zps7nq4ua4r.jpg]

[Image: finished%203_zpsfnaa8sll.jpg]

[Image: finished%204_zpscwekfwwj.jpg]

[Image: finished%205_zpsflau39hr.jpg]

[Image: finished%206_zpsnj7sbujl.jpg]
 DW2015   OCC2015  GCSN16  
DW2016   BN16   GCSN17
DW2018
Sensational work mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"The Death Star plans are not in the main computer"

[Image: T0ZvRQv.png]

[Image: Eu2xjUD.png]
It was awesome to see in person. And Smart Pups thanks you for the 1 cap donation Smile
FNG  OCC2017  CVIII DW2017  BN16 OCC2016
It was awesome to see it at supernova! Great work
You've taken your first step into a larger world.

The droid.. stole a freighter?

DW2016
As someone obsessed with fallout, this is amazing!!! Such a fantastic build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am so glad I found you and didn't kill you.
Tusken 
B2B 
OCC18 (BARELY!)
Woah!! That's an awesome build! I'm gonna seal the salt chipping technique you've used
"Hey X-Mez!"

"Damn it, it's pronounced Xmez with a Z. Like the X in xylophone, or xerxes, or xenomorph." 

"Sure thing X-Mez. Whatever you say."

Banghead
quick question, who are those 2 people standing behind you both in that chair, last pic? are they part of the game?
<p>
[Image: CtjvZdX.gif]
FNG
Distance traveled to troop: 98462kms
Once member of TAG before Redback was a squad, Redback Inter-Garrison Officer (2010-2012) & Merchandise officer (2015-2017) and Tatooine Base Command 2012-2016
</p>
Beanie, they are characters from another Bethesda game - Dishonoured 2. The cosplayers are Erri Kitten Cosplay and Artemis Costuming (both on Facebook).

(Monday 21-Nov-2016, 12:22 PM)Beanie Wrote:  quick question, who are those 2 people standing behind you both in that chair, last pic? are they part of the game?
 DW2015   OCC2015  GCSN16  
DW2016   BN16   GCSN17
DW2018
As I said on the day mate, looks awesome fantastic job!
Salt hey? Nice tip, and comes up a treat.
[Image: aIWrVx8.gif]
Wow!! Awesome work! Amazing detail...makes you want to crawl out through the fallout!
That looks incredible!!
Great job Noel, I only saw you from a distance at nova. However I do happen to have 1 cap the bank refused to accept. Ill bring it along for you next time we troop together.
I survived Dreamworld 2010
DW2011
DW2012
DW2013
DW2014
DW2015
Freakkin awesome!!!
.... It's alright for you to judge me,
sitting up there in your airconditioned battle Cruiser!...

[Image: bfb80cfde9949491.png]
:gcsn12:
:dw12:
Thanks for the great feedback everyone.

It was a really fun build. I have just started working on the shoulder armour. It was the bit that was least accurate. So I will post up some pics when I have finished that rebuild.
 DW2015   OCC2015  GCSN16  
DW2016   BN16   GCSN17
DW2018