OmniWrench Prop Build WIP Thread - Ratchet and Clank
Today I was able to make a huge amount of progress and pretty well knocked off all the of the electronics.

My setup consisted of 3 strips of Electroluminescent Tape, one for each jaw and then the light panel on the centre junction piece. The Electroluminescent tape is powered by x4 AA batteries, which runs into an inverter which then illuminated the Electroluminescent tape.
Then branching off from the wires before the inverter are my wires for the 4 blue 10mm LEDs. These 4 LEDs are used to light the circular light panels on the sides of the jaws. Each LED was also wired to have a resistor, so the battery voltage didn't blow the LED.

[Image: 51135966015_e48cab826e_b.jpg]

[Image: 51134180787_3667fa7d01_b.jpg]

After an afternoon of soldering and problem solving I had my finalised set up completed! 

I've since added the other two bits of EL Tape and removed any excess wire to help it hit nicer inside of the wrench.

I'm not super experienced with electronics so I'm super stoked with how this came out Smile 

As for the switch to turn the lights on, I've got a latching switch that's recessed into the base of the pommel. 

This way it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb!

[Image: 51134853911_6fb6b7b728_b.jpg]

With the electronics all sorted I needed to create another jaw lighting rig and this time I remembered to take proper photos.

It starts with a 3D printed profile which I then run a strip of Tesa double sided tape along (Tesa is beyond brilliant for prop making, super reliable and durable for long term mounting). After peeling the protective film I carefully stuck the EL Tape down along the centre line.

The profile was designed so it was thin enough that it could flex, which was very helpful for fit it into the jaw as the printed part is a nice snug fiction fit. This way I can insert the lighting setup into the jaw and then move the sides of the profile up flush to the jaw to eliminate any gaps that spoil the look of the EL tape.

[Image: 51134180697_e436e6d746_b.jpg]

[Image: 51134853816_ca53062d64_b.jpg]

With all the electronics soldered and assembled I was just about ready for the first full assembly.

First however, I needed to glue the two halves together. For this I'm using Z Poxy, which is a two part epoxy adhesive that goes off in 5 minutes.

I cannot recommend this stuff enough, it's deadset brilliant! Obviously if you use it you need to wear PPE with glasses, gloves and a respirator.

[Image: 51135965720_53ba3a7b11_b.jpg]

To prep the parts to have a nice solid bond, I used my grinder to quickly cut some channels/grooves into the 3D print. These grooves allow the glue to sit inside and help increase the reliability of the bond between the two parts and the Z Poxy as it has more to grip onto.

[Image: 51135965640_ede3d9a20b_b.jpg]

I then taped up the areas that would be affected by excess Z Poxy oozing out when the two parts are glued and fitted. 

[Image: 51134180392_9a1eb756c8_b.jpg]

I then mixed and applied the Z Poxy to each piece. Following which I pressed them together, and once the excess glue stopped oozing from the join I wiped excess with a rag. Then after a minute to let it settle I peeling the tape off while the Z Poxy was still green (still going off). You can see below I already removed the tape from the bottom part.

[Image: 51135633574_ba83ed5dc3_b.jpg]

With the two halves glued together, it was time to start the process of installing all the wires inside!

First, I ran the wires fort through the central unction at the top, down through the prop to the batteries.

From there I was able to thread the LEDs and EL tape through the steel pipes into their respective jaws and neatly tuck everything inside.

I'll have some more WIP photos soon with the LEDs all going!

[Image: 51135633539_b45387becf_b.jpg]

[Image: 51135633489_17653f5d0e_b.jpg]

[Image: 51135633424_f229449af6_b.jpg]
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
Distance Traveled To Troops =  4346.4km

Messages In This Thread
RE: OmniWrench Prop Build WIP Thread - Ratchet and Clank - by Studio 49 - Saturday 24-Apr-2021, 08:34 PM