Hello from Springfield Lakes!
Hi everyone, my name is Jason Fisher and I live in Springfield Lakes. I have been a Star Wars fan since the late 1970s (I would like to point out I was just a kid at the time!) but have not really been involved in fandom at all. I recently learnt about the 501st and it seemed like a great way to express my interest in the Star Wars saga and its characters and be involved in a group doing great things for the community. My son and I attended Oz Comic Con over the weekend in Brisbane and we loved the 501st displays, as well as the friendliness and enthusiasm of its members. My son is keen on me developing a Boba Fett costume - this is his favourite character. They even share the same initials! Oddly enough, I have the initials of Fett's 'father'....Perhaps predictably, Boba was a favourite of mine as well when I was my son's age but I am a little concerned about the complexity of such a costume. Part of my concern also stems from the fact I would not exactly describe myself as 'handy' so am unsure how I will go when it comes to constructing any aspect of my Boba Fett costume. However, enough of the negatives and the worries. I'm keen to start this project and get involved and, hopefully, one day join the 501st. Cheers.
[Image: 2PNdiLg.png]
Welcome to the Redbacks.
"The Death Star plans are not in the main computer"

[Image: T0ZvRQv.png]

[Image: Eu2xjUD.png]
G'day and welcome. I'm only new myself but if I've learnt anything it's that there are plenty of people here that can help and have the know how. It's a great bunch of people.
Welcome Oberon,

Don't stress about the handiness .. I would of said the same about myself but you pick the skills and we all chip in to help where we can as the better you look the greater we all look together.

If you have not already you prob want to join the dented helmet forums as well but as I don't know the costume that well I'll let those that do give you the other advice
DW2013 to DW2018
Welcome
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
Welcome aboard mate!
"Research, THEN, make it look like the picture!"

DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
BN14GCSN15
Thanks for the welcome everyone, greatly appreciated! A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step etc etc. Before I know it, I will be ordering that they put captain Solo in the cargo hold...
Welcome buddy this is going to be lots of fun
TK 19749
Hail Oberon, For Galactic Academy ( under 18's ) the rules for membership are a lot loser than with the big kids clubs. There is one cadet Alrakis whose has a Boba Fett costume and has made a few pieces for it. It may be worthwhile having a chat with him to see you can make a mini me version as well. As for Boba Fett it is one of the more complex and expensive costume to do up but you will have plenty of help if you do go down this path. To give you an idea of what is required here is the link to the costume standard for the 501st http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:...a_Fett-ESB Hope this helps.

Another option could be to do another costume up first so you could join the 501st at the same time working on Boba, butI would say if Boba Fett is the costume you want to do stay focused on that. You will also be welcome to come along to our events and wrangle ( vision is limited in some of these helmet and an extra pair of eyes is always useful) it will also give you the chance to see a bit more of what goes on behind the scenes.
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
Thanks Stormraven - my son has been pushing to be a mini Boba, actually...I am wondering if Boba may not be the best character to start with, due to its complexity, but I figure you have to go with what your gut tells you. And my son, as well as the 11 year old version of me, are saying go for Boba...
Welcome to the forums Jason.
oops I meant to say Alrakis has a Boba Fett costume for his son and has made some of the bits for it. He is making a mandolorian for himself though.
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
Hi Jason
Some of us are old enough to remember being dragged to the original trilogy in the late 70's! Yikes. :-)
Boba Fett is an awesome costume but very expensive and complex. But the heart wants what the heart wants right.
Some of us start with easier costumes then do more complex ones as we learn more, it really depends on your time, budget and what you want to create.
Trust me I didn't know the front end of a dremmel before joining this bunch, now I can mod an E-11 and trim armour. Under adult supervision of course!
Good luck and welcome!
Welcome Oberon. Smile
"I can't see a thing in this helmet."
Cheers Rebelrach, I really appreciate the encouragement. Boba Fett is not set in stone (or cabonite) and after some more research I may completely rethink everything but as you said, the heart wants what it wants. I'm just so keen to get out there and join in the fun!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Howdy Springfield Lakes newbie here ☺ Twinny 12 14,322 Sunday 27-Nov-2016, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Twinny
  Hi from North Lakes Dw 16 19,557 Friday 19-Sep-2014, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Kev Vader