I don't want to hit what I'm aiming at...
Hello all Smile

So here's my introduction thread.

My names Mark, I'm a 30 something, live on the Gold Coast and am very interested in joining the 501st.

I've seen you guys multiple times at various events over the years and have always had an itch to participate. I was at OzComicCon in Brisbane last week and got to chatting with The Scotsman late Sunday afternoon (I was dressed as Deadpool) about how the legion actually works and what's involved with trooping. He invited me to come join the forums and check it out, so, here I am Smile

While I'm sure I would love the convention stuff, I find the charity work most appealing and I would enjoy volunteering for those types of events. I also think the community and social aspects would be extremely rewarding and very much worth the time and effort involved in being a member of the 501st.

My heart is set on the Stormtrooper.

The iconic look has always appealed to me and It has been a life long dream to have my very own TK helmet. The next logical step of course is to have the whole costume and complete the ensemble.

I have signed my self up over at whitearmor as well, and in taking the first steps down this path, I've been reading and researching most of the week to get a better idea of what I'd be in for if I take the plunge, but as you are all aware, there is a LOT of information to process, so I could use some help.

I am pretty crafty, good with my hands, and I think I already own most of the tools I would need to get started.

The construction process seems daunting but not too overwhelming. With a bit of guidance, I think I will actually enjoy that part.

As far as getting started, I'm still a bit unsure of my best options, so advice here would be greatly appreciated.

I'm up for a challenge, and with TK armor in mind, I would like to set my sights high and aim for Centurion level from the outset.

I'm still undecided as far as the style goes, and again could use advice on this. Price, availability, construction difficulty and durability are all concerns for me in addition to aesthetics.

Having reviewed the CRL I want to stick with the 'clean' TK look. I don't really have a preference though, I like ANH, ESB, RoTJ and TFA/TFO equally.

With that said, and without knowing the suitability, my guess is ANH hero would be the best choice.

I would want to stick with ABS material, and would likely require a slightly larger build. I'm 6'0, 88kg, and also have a pretty large head circumference (61cm) as well as large thighs and a bit of a gut (though I am working on that :P)

Of the recommended vendors, I'm not sure if my requirements may limit me to RT (4%larger bucket?) That said, based on the info in the FSID vendor thread, my preferred choice would be RS (they have an option inc an accessory kit- see my next point)

I'm also having trouble trying to calculate a total budget for the whole project.

I'm aware there is much more needed then just the initial armor kit and could do with some advice and ball park costings of the required accessories. (Everything for centurion level inc. e-11 blaster)

As I said above, I already own most of the tools I think I'll need, but I do also need to cost the extra parts and materials that will be required for the assembly (studs, Velcro, webbing, straps, screws etc)

I have a feeling much of this will have an element of "...it costs what it costs..." and I'm okay with paying a fair price. I have a pretty extensive Mtg collection that I can dip into to help bankroll this endeavour, but I'd also rather not spend more then I have too.

So that's my intro. Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks for reading this far.

- spoon
Hi Spoon and welcome to the Redback forums.
You are well on your way by the looks, good work.
RT-Mod is great armour, as is RS, ATA, AM and many others.
Your size is fine for all the above, I guess it really boils down to two things.
1. How much you are willing to spend.
Exchange rates suck atm.
2. How long you are willing to wait.
Some of the makers do have lengthy wait times due to popularity/size(RT bigger helmet) price etc.
Their is no such thing as the best armour, but rather, what armour is best for you based on the above.
Building the kit is immensely gratifying, as is the research and every other aspect to go along with it.
We are here to help you on your journey, have fun.
"The Death Star plans are not in the main computer"

[Image: T0ZvRQv.png]

[Image: Eu2xjUD.png]
Welcome Spoon!

You've started your journey! WoOo! It only gets more exciting from this!

Your first purchase, your first delivery, the first cut, your first troop, your first armour-bite! :D

Take your time, and enjoy the rite!
I survived Dreamworld 2010CVI
DW2011CVII
DW2012
DW2013
DW2014
DW2015
Hi Mark and welcome to the forums. Don't worry about the 'wall of text', it just shows you've already done some research and you're keen - nothing wrong with either of those things. All the best mate with your build.
[Image: 2PNdiLg.png]
Spoooooon! (tick is awesome btw)

Welcome Mark, good to see another potential TK in the works! Looks like you are on top of your research Doppeldaumen1

With regards to cost, you do have some options if you are looking to stay within a set budget... e.g. second hand bits, build a blaster instead of buying, no need for an icomm&aker, etc, etc.. you can make this as expensive as you want (just not as cheap as you want Wink )...

Best to start a spreadsheet and work out costs of individual components, be sure to factor in shipping and exchange rates, also shop around for the best price.. local members maybe able to help out and provide better quality products too.
And don't forget PayPal fees, they do like to take their cut.

Welcome to the Redback forums!
Welcome to the Redbacks, Atlan!
"Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I said supper is ready!"
DW2015 -> DW2018
OCC2015 -> OCC19
BN15 -> SN19
GCSN16 ->  GCSN19
Welcome to the Redbacks Mark
Cheers Smile
[Image: sandtrooper_zps59e22898.png][Image: policeoffice_zps0af868af.png] "stay Dirty my friends" MEPD all the way
Thanks so much for the warm welcome everyone.

So far I'm leaning toward the AP ANH Stunt Armor + Helmet kit. Mark @ AP said his kits a pretty much Centurion ready with only a couple of extras needed.

I'm slowly building a picture of what else is required but I could use some help just to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I think what I'll do is create a build thread either here or over at FISD and compile my info/progress there.

thanks again, I'm looking forward to my first armor-bite (gotta pay my dues)

exciting times ahead :D
Follow the CRL closely, and build to Centurion straight up (easiest way)
Things you will need to get for the helmet.
Screen accurate mic tips. Sskunky over at FISD has those, also has the correct rivets needed for the Ab, knee pack and crotch.
Rubber S trim, form Trooperbay.., yes there is a Trooperbay.

For your neck seal, holster and canvas belt PM Mammasith here in the Redbacks, she makes those.

Have fun.

Thanks for the advice Sly, I have been reading through your build threads closely.

I have had a look through trooperbay this morning, there is some other great stuff there as well. I would also like to get the 'voice box/com' is the trooperbay one up to par? Is there a local supplier?

I will defiantly message Mammasith and let her know I'm interested.

Speaking with Mark @ AP it sounds like there are some changes in the works for his kits to help increase detail and make them more 'centurion' out of the box so to speak.
Aker amp from eBay , get the 10 watt unit, they are very loud and cheaper than Trooperbay .
That s good Mark is improving his kit, and about time he did. I love my AP armour.

Thanks Sly, I take it this is the one you mean ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/310801834940

Yeah that's a great saving (50%ish)

Do you know of a local supplier for boots or is TKboots the best option ?

I'm beginning to get a much better picture now of costs.
Thats the amp mate.

Regarding boots you can either paint some up or buy from suppliers like tkboots or imperialboots, really comes down to how much you want to spend. I have tkboots and they are very comfortable.