Hello from fresh (hopeful) recruit!
Hi All,
I am looking forward to seeing some of you at the Toowoomba City Library opening this Saturday!

I reside in Brisbane, but because I'm a fan of Star Wars it's no trouble to travel out that far and meet some others who have been accepted into the Garrison.

Will anyone be there who is authorized to look at a helmet I have - part of what I hope will be eventually a full uniform?  Will Darth Vader be attending there? I am interested to know how they made their uniforms and acquired some of their kit.

May the Force be with you all!
Welcome!

I see one of our Vader's has signed up for the library troop so you should be able to pick his brains Wink
DW2013 to DW2018
Welcome!
Look forward to meeting you on Saturday!
I'm sure the diva....I mean Vader.....who is coming will be more than willing to have a chat to you.
Hey there DarthV, I'm the Vader that's signed up for the Toowoomba troop, more than happy to have a yarn Wink
Also I assume by "Helmet" you're referring to a Vader helmet mate?
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
Distance Traveled To Troops =  4346.4km
Welcome to the forums DarthV, looking forward to meeting you on saturday
FNG  OCC2017  CVIII DW2017  BN16 OCC2016
Welcome to the forums , most of your questions can be answered here or if you let us know which costume you are looking at we can direct you to the appropriate detachment that handles it and the CRL to match .
DW2013GCSN13BN12
DW2014GCSN14BN13
              GCSN15BN14
(Thursday 12-Jan-2017, 11:15 PM)Studio 49 Wrote:  Hey there DarthV, I'm the Vader that's signed up for the Toowoomba troop, more than happy to have a yarn Wink
Also I assume by "Helmet" you're referring to a Vader helmet mate?

Hey, Lord Studio49.

Yes, it is ANH Darth Vader Helmet. Looks true to form with the original one (not sure if the first or second one used in the Episode IV, as the first one used at the start of the movie didn't survive due to being broken, so a second one was made during filming to complete the film).

I can already do the voice, so no need for a voice changer... one less piece of kit!

(Friday 13-Jan-2017, 05:37 AM)cyclops Wrote:  Welcome to the forums , most of your questions can be answered here or if you let us know which costume you are looking at we can direct you to the appropriate detachment that handles it and the CRL to match .
Thanks, Cyclops!

Darth Vader... ANH (Episode IV).
Sith Lord detachment will be your point of call but start with the CRL ( costume reference library) , this you will find on these forums .
DW2013GCSN13BN12
DW2014GCSN14BN13
              GCSN15BN14
Hi there and welcome.

Another Vader, nice.

Your firrst point would be to have a look over Costume Reference Library (CRL).
http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costu..._anh_vader

Then head over to the detachment to do your research and get the experts opinion on the helmet.
http://www.501stsithlords.com/

While you are reading and researching have a read of this thread to give you an idea on how the approval process works.
http://www.501st.com.au/forum/showthread.php?tid=6720

If in doubt always ask.

Have fun and enjoy your time here!
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."

DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
BN14GCSN15
Morning mate, so now I know you're interested in looking into a Vader I wanted to be sure to post up the advice to provide a decent foundation of info. This is the same info I give any that post an Intro thread over on the SLD Forums to help get them started on the right foot. I've also tried to include some Aussie specific details for you Smile Please don't let the amount of info discourage you, I just want to make sure that you have a solid foundation of info to go on having been through it all myself about a year ago Doppeldaumen1 

And Phantom is absolutely correct, you'll want to head over to our Detachment Forum (The Sith Lord Detachment)
http://forum.501stsithlords.com

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Building Vader:
General Tips and information:
Looks like you've decided which version of Vader it is you would be interested in, that is out of ANH, ESB, ROTJ or ROTS versions. Each are different in their own unique ways and the costume reference library ("CRL") will help you determine what you need for 501st clearance. Make sure you read this top to bottom, inside and out as this will become your guide to building your Vader and the key to getting approved. CRL’s Here: http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:SLD_CRL 

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Patience and research are the key to building Vader and your best friend. This build not be quick or simple, there’s a good reason there aren’t many Vader’s in the Legion. The best way to describe it is that building a Vader is like a marathon, rather than a sprint. If you do build Vader  it WILL take anywhere from 1.5 years to 3 years. Pretty well all the Vader’s end up at around just a under 2 years from start to finish. It’s not an all in one instant build due to needing multiple vendors all with different runs and multiple wait times. Most Vader Vendors have wait times ranging from 3 months to upwards of a 1-1.5 years (one vendor which I suggest you avoid has 3 year long wait list.
Make sure you ask plenty of questions on the SLD Forums, members of the Sith Lord Detachment are always willing to answer them and help you out. Before starting the build or buying anything, I highly recommend that you research other Vader build threads to get an idea of parts, suppliers, process and the challenges of building Vader.

Research:
Did I mention how important research is? Well you should research research research and then followed by more research! Wink 
The best way for you to conduct your Vader Research is to read through other members WIP (Work in Progress) Build threads. This way you can learn what vendors and parts are generally being used, things to watch out for when doing your own build, and perhaps the most important thing is you can learn from the mistakes of others. You can also see some very detailed builds that chronicle every step of the build, those in particular are vital reading Wink 

This research will allow you to understand the reasons for purchasing the parts you want to buy.  Reading WIP threads will grow your knowledge on the subtle things about building Vader and allow you to craft a truly awesome product in the end!
Also please DO NOT buy anything with out seeking advice on the forums since you don’t want to end up with a part that won’t be approvable, and end up wasting money in the long run. Just make an intro post and WIP Thread where you can post all your questions and myself and others can answer them

Building Vader’s Downunder:
As I said above, building a Vader is a lengthy and costly process. Due to exchange rates and shipping costs, it's only realistic to expect that we will need to pay more. However you can get around that by researching, planning and buying parts one at a time to spread the load  Doppeldaumen1 
For my build I've spent upwards of $4000 on my costume (and I built a lot of parts myself). If you are looking to keep costs to a minimum you could do what I'm doing and scratch build the parts yourself if you've good with the hands on stuff, or you can get parts in kit form from reputable vendors on the SLD. For instance I built the buckle, belt boxes and Chestbox, I kept detailed build threads for each that you may find helpful if you decide to go down that path. It just depends on how confident you are with getting hands on.
There is no one supplier is a one stop shop for all the parts. For my personal Vader I ended up using a total of 8-9 suppliers/vendors and It would have been more if I hadn't built the majority of the parts myself. Another tip from my experience building Vader so far is to keep an excel spreadsheet with your budget and the cost for parts. That way you are able to work out what is reasonable to buy next and how you're going budget wise  Doppeldaumen1 

Information Resources (WIP/Work In Progress Threads):
I kept a pretty detailed work in progress thread for my build that you might find interesting being from an Aussie Perspective, I pretty documented everything so it may help answer some of your questions, and there's plenty of other excellent WIP threads over on the SLD. 
I know some of these WIP Threads are long reads but if your serious about Vader reading plenty of WIP threads is essential as I mentioned earlier in regards to research  Doppeldaumen1 
Plenty of guys keep nice WIP threads for their builds. 
http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.ph...904&page=1
http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?showforum=37 

Vader is one of the most expensive costumes in the Legion (apart from maybe Fett edging it out as most expensive) and one of the most time consuming and among the more difficult to build. Please don't be turned off by the vast amount of info above it's not supposed to scare, the intent of the info above is to help get you thinking in the right direction to avoid any potential costly mistakes and the like Smile 

We'd love to hear from you over on the SLD, so please do post up an introductory thread in the new members introductions so other experienced members can provide insights and advice DarthV  Doppeldaumen1

With all that said I'm sure I'll see you at the troop tomorrow so I'll be more than happy to have a yarn with you and answer any questions you may have  Doppeldaumen1
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
Distance Traveled To Troops =  4346.4km
[quote pid='167823' dateline='1484263302']
With all that said I'm sure I'll see you at the troop tomorrow so I'll be more than happy to have a yarn with you and answer any questions you may have  Doppeldaumen1
[/quote]

Thanks Studio49!  See you (and the other troop) there! Smile
Welcome DarthV! Hassle those guys as much as you can. They love talking all thing starwars and armor!
Automatic doors make me feel like a jedi 

DW2016   DW2017 DW2018 DW2019
[Image: Q8GkS6o.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hopeful Future clone CorporalCorn 5 697 Tuesday 3-Jan-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Cyclops
  Hopeful new clone apgallagher1 8 764 Sunday 20-Nov-2022, 06:23 PM
Last Post: apgallagher1
  Hopeful future trooper in Brisbane Croissant_Guard 7 1,129 Monday 21-Mar-2022, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Croissant_Guard