Would love to troop but am I suitable ( really??)
Hi Gang! My name is Bec, aka Gecko, and I was both fascinate and highly impressed by your organization after learning about the 501st from a Scout leader friend (yes, I am a scout leader, the dib dib dob dob kind not the biker scout kind, however my good friend is a biker scout with Redback Garrison). Anyway, enough rambling you guys look brilliant but equally importantly do some amazing charity work and just bring big smiles to so many kids, including
"big kids" wherever you go ( give yourselves a big pat on the back, arrhh mean armor.....arhhLol) Anyway! To the point ( yes there is a point). Whilst I definitely enjoyed Star Wars Episodes 4,5 & 6 with my brother as a child and probably raced around the house on heaps of occasions with donuts on my ears. To be honest whilst I know the basics of the prequels they came out during the years that i was busy with newborns and toddlers. Though I LOVE costuming ( last week I was dressed as Luigi for my son's Mario kart party) but I am in all honesty ( apart from the excuse to wear a costume
) really attracted to the 501st because I would like to help support the charities you do and quite simply make little and big people alike SMILE ( or run away in terror in some cases). So to the final question, even though I may not be joiining because I am the most knowledgeable Star Wars buff in the empire ( and yes, I just heard a large percentage of you moan and delete my post) would I still be suitable for the 501st? Honestly? I would love to have been Jawa but I am 5 foot 8" on a short day and am interested in Mara jade Skywalker but would be interested to know from those who have multiple costumes is it more fun to wear a helmet? Wrangling? What does that involve? Anyway thanks for your time. Wishing you all a very Happy New Year and sincerely hope those in flood affected areas are safe. Cheers, Gecko
G'days Bec..... Gecko.

Whilst I only have 2 501st costumes I have on occasion been called a traitorist rebel scum as I havbe a jedi costume also. And I have too say that between wearing my jedi robes and wearing either my Shadow Scout or Stormtrooper helmet. I tend to have alot more fun with the helemets on. Hehehe Not to say you can't have fun without helmet too. Oh if your worried at all about being 5 foot 8" don't be, I'm around that hieght my-self.

Cheers, and happy new year

Hoppy
What he said^ lol (im 5'7)

Great to hear you want to get involved, you dont need to be an encyclopedia of star wars, just a passion for costuming and charity.

We have an inhouse joke, the "Cats" AKA "Compact Assault Troopers" for all us shorter troopers, but to be honest you might even be too tall for the cats! (shows the height of some of our members Wink)

If youre not keen on armour and just want to get involved there's always an imperal officer costume, a reasonably simple and cheap costume.
The Legions 1st approved Incinerator Peace[Image: n1inci.jpg]
I can beat you both!!! Hi Bec, and welcome. I'm only 5'5", and can wear these costumes fine. There's not a troop that goes by where I don't hear the, "Aren't you a liitle short to be a Stormtrooper" phrase. But what do you expect Hehehe Yes, like Hop said, you can have a bit more fun with a mask, cause they don't know who you really are Wink You can still talk and interact with a helmet on. Most of the troopers have PA setups, to make them be heard and sound more like the real deal. Depends on your personal preferences tho.
[Image: 36487379910_dbb9166743_o.png]

Hey there Bec / Gecko - I love my Stormtrooper armour!!

To be honest, when I joined, I hadn't even seen the latest film! (Episode 3) I didn't know what the blaster was called, I didn't know what colour light-sabre Darth Vader used, and I hadn't the faintest idea what the differences were between Clones and Stormtroopers!!

All of that stuff isn't important, really. What is important is your willingness to have a laugh and have some fun helping other people. If you are up for that, then you're more than qualified to join the 501st!

Happy trooping!!
Mox
I survived Dreamworld 2010CVI
DW2011CVII
DW2012
DW2013
DW2014
DW2015
Hi and welcome Bec.

Everyone that joins the Redbacks, do so for their own reasons. Just because you dont know how many jedi were killed at the jedi temple, that wont stop you from dressing up in a Star Wars costume. Heck, we have a member who has never even watched a Star Wars film!!

Also, the public dont mind which side of the force you're on, be it light or dark.

My wife has a Mara Jade costume, and the big bonus of this particular costume, is that you are able to be both approved in the 501st and the Rebel Legion with Mara Jade.

Probably the best advice that we can give you, is either come along to an armour party or a troop, and try on a helmet. That way you will know, if you're ok with wearing a costume that requires you to wear one.

Welcome again
Ken

ps. just thought that with your involvement with Scouts, have you considered a Biker Scout costume?
Welcome.
Real democracy is not something that can be palmed off with a click of a mouse once a year, a crossed box and crossed fingers.

Democracy is for life, not just elections.

I survived Dreamworld 2010DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
Welcome Gecko!

What those above said!! Smile

(Is your Friend the Biker scout (TB) and scout leader named Chief by chance ?)
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
Jedi were killed at the jedi temple? I thought they all dropped sabers and decided to take up line dancing...? huh.

Anyway! Hi and welcome Bec!

Yes! It's a great life being a C.A.T! We're the ones who get summoned to stand next to Vader to make him look Taller when the media come a-calling!

I will warn you that this hobby is as addictive and slightly more expensive than a drug habit.. but seeing all the smiles and making a difference for charity makes it all worth while Smile
[Image: jImnAK.jpg]
Thanks all for your comments and support!!! And no I definitely not have no hesitation in getting get "Helmet hair"! Hehehe And my gut feeling is I would I like to wear a helmet or mask. I've already had this discussion with Muppet, but was wondering if I could have broader generally feedback on whether I'm too tall 5 foot 8 " at least to be a Jawa? Have you seen many adult Jawas out trooping? Are they smaller in height cause I am tallish for a girl. Could I pull it off somehow. Could I swat down for all photos or waddle around on my knees somehow? Or would I just look to ridiculus? Will I see posts about AP when they start up again in 2011? Look forward to meeting some of you! Bec /Gecko
There is one Jawa in the garrison, and I think one more on the way. How tall they are, I don't know exactly, but they are not midgets. You could do a Tusken Raider, male or female, it doesn't matter, if that's the sort of thing you are interested in.
[Image: 36487379910_dbb9166743_o.png]

Yes, my very good friend biker scout friend is the one and only Chief on the Gold Coast! He is solely responsible for my new obsession with all things Star Wars. Gecko
(Friday 31-Dec-2010, 05:56 PM)Bec Buist Wrote:  Will I see posts about AP when they start up again in 2011? Look forward to meeting some of you! Bec /Gecko

There is a post up about one this Monday already..Smile
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
Welcome Bec, nice to have you here.

Rick
I tend to prefer helmets/masks myself.. means you dont pull silly faces whist posing for hundreds of photos. Have a think about the kinda person you are when you're in costume.. do you go crazy silly and try and get away with stuff you'd never usually do? are you more of a stand back and look amazing kind of person? are you really into Playing the character? Will you be the kind of person who really gets in there with the croud and wants to kneel next to prams and wheelchairs etc?

That sort of info can give you a hint as to whether a 90% cloth costume would work for you, or armour that is recognised everywhere by everyone, if you want something light to cover your face, or prefer the relative safety of a helmet.

Haha Good on ya Chief!

Biker Scouts are a really good mix of cloth, recognisable armour and flexibity.. Jawa's rock, but theres nothing that beats the Groan of your TK comrades when you sit down, and they cant Wink
[Image: jImnAK.jpg]