E-11 build...finally completed
All kinds of awesome! Nice work thx for the pics tour!
.... It's alright for you to judge me,
sitting up there in your airconditioned battle Cruiser!...

[Image: bfb80cfde9949491.png]
:gcsn12:
:dw12:
I'll go into what I did for the "T" track. I used 2mm styrene plastic (about $9 per sheet), and cut it into 9mm and 6mm strips. 9mm for the horizontal and the 6mm for the vertical. I then worked out how long, and where to bend the T track for each run along the barrel. From there I cut a small bit of timber to bend it over for a sharper bend.
I can recommend the Black and Decker heat gun as it works fast and has a fantastic temp range.
[Image: DSCF6984.JPG]

Once the T track shows a bit of slack from the heating, I race it straight over to the block and bend it straight down. It cools rather quickly so be careful.
[Image: DSCF6985.JPG]

After a bit of trimming and finishing, they slide nicely into the right holes.
[Image: DSCF6986.JPG]

Not too bad considering how much they cost...maybe a bit more practice...
[Image: DSCF6987.JPG]

So, from there I managed to get them glued on and disassembled the rest for the primer part of the build...
[Image: DSCF6992.JPG]
[Image: DSCF6993.JPG]

Ahhhh...the scope rail. I managed to make this from some 20mm wide and 3mm thick aluminium from Bunnings. This was easier to make than I thought. Theres plenty of forums with scope rail tutorials, but let me know if anyone wants more details on making this.
[Image: DSCF6994.JPG]
[Image: DSCF6997.JPG]

Next up will be the final coats of paint and assembly. Can anyone recommend the best finish? Gloss, satin, matt with or without clear finishes????
Royalguard

Darth "I find your lack of pants disturbing."
BN12GCSN13:DW13:
looks good
satin finish.

The handle should be glossy. If you can, do a hammered finish on the entire body (except handle) and then spray your satin black over that. That's what I did and it looks really pretty much like real metal.
 [Image: kaizoku_sentai_gokaiger_henshin_hd_final...55xtn2.gif]

GCSN13
DW2011  DW2012 DW2013 DW2017
Thanks Seantrooper. Sounds like the way to go. Heading to Bunnings tomorrow I'd say Smile

(Thursday 14-Jun-2012, 07:54 PM)seantrooper Wrote:  satin finish.

The handle should be glossy. If you can, do a hammered finish on the entire body (except handle) and then spray your satin black over that. That's what I did and it looks really pretty much like real metal.
Royalguard

Here's the latest installment. I finally got it painted. I went with Seantroopers suggestion on this build. Hammered metal first with a satin black finish and gloss black on the handle. For the ejector I used Tamiya Gun Metal. Not too much silver and not too dark either. Unfortunately the photos aren't too detailed to pick up the paint effects. Shall try again soon...
[Image: DSCF7030.JPG]
[Image: DSCF7031.JPG]
[Image: DSCF7032.JPG]

Now I do have one last installment regarding the SCOPE, primarily the...oops, I almost gave it away. It might be something exciting or a complete failure. However I think it should work out and give your blaster scope a futuristic feel and a bit of 'bling'. But I won't know till I pick 'them' up from the laser cutters tomorrow...yes the LASER CUTTERS.

To be concluded...
Royalguard

Looks fantastic mate
DW2012 TO DW2015
BN11 TO BN14
:GCSN12: TO GCSN15

Here it is kids...my first E-11 completed with a holograghic like reticle for the Doopy Doo Resin Scope. I was struggling there for a littel bit as to how to finish the scope. Then it dawned on me while I was throwing away an old dvd...so the experimenting began. I found that I couldn't cut the dvd's with scissors, tin snips or a circle cutting compass. They just kept on delaminating. So I tracked down a laser cutter and we tried a couple of things with varying results and eventually got there.

A larger lens for the rear of the scope and a smaller one for the front. I then had the reticle professionally printed on clear polymer and cut to size...
[Image: DSCF7077.JPG]

Not too impressive yet...but once its put together and attached to the scope, move it around and watch the varying holographic effects.
[Image: DSCF7051.JPG]
[Image: DSCF7064.JPG]
[Image: DSCF7063.JPG]
[Image: DSCF7059.JPG]
[Image: DSCF7049.JPG]
[Image: DSCF7047.JPG]
[Image: DSCF7015.JPG]
[Image: DSCF7039.JPG]

This was hard to photograph, but the lenses look a lot like a highly polished high end lens you would find on thermal imaging equipement. Surprisingly, these were pretty cheap to make so if anyone would like a set let me know. Only $3.50 per kit . PM me if interested
Royalguard

I'll take a few sets!
[Image: ytpTSHu.png]

Science! Because figuring things out is better than making stuff up.

Ill take a set as well thanks, they look great.
Love your work Tim Notworthy I look forward to seeing it at your AP.
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
Nice work mate.....now just to find my E11 kit
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."

DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
BN14GCSN15
Well done Brother!!!
(Wednesday 27-Jun-2012, 06:30 AM)MammaSith Wrote:  Well done Brother!!!

Thanks Baby sister! Hehehe

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback!! NotworthyDoppeldaumen1
Royalguard

Awesome job! Have you met my T 21.....?
.... It's alright for you to judge me,
sitting up there in your airconditioned battle Cruiser!...

[Image: bfb80cfde9949491.png]
:gcsn12:
:dw12: