Hasbro DH-17 Project for Beginners
A few of us are starting to modify and paint our DH-17 toy blasters for various costumes.

I know a lot of you have done this already with super results, and there are a few threads for this work.

Is there an absolute beginners thread or guide including items needed, paint etc in a step by step guide?

I've heaps of advice thanks already, but I really want a step by step guide about what to sand, chop off, paint, weather, dry, respray etc etc....so I can do it myself.

Really appreciate the help in advance, from a bunch of pros!
Rach
You can check this thread from TerraFirma.

http://www.501st.com.au/forum/thread-5746.html

Also here from Beanie.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36437
ONE SHOT. ONE KILL. NO EXCEPTIONS

I survived Dreamworld 2010I survived Supanova 2010:dw11SadJUST)
ohhh i knew i made a thread somewhere but forgot about that over on RL.

anyways it was an easy mod. Good luck Rach.
<p>
[Image: CtjvZdX.gif]
FNG
Distance traveled to troop: 98462kms
Once member of TAG before Redback was a squad, Redback Inter-Garrison Officer (2010-2012) & Merchandise officer (2015-2017) and Tatooine Base Command 2012-2016
</p>
"An easy mod" Heeheee.....
Thanks fellas.
Here goes nothing.....

Actually that's not enough information because I didn't get half the terminology on Terrafirma's thread.Banghead

Remember til 2 weeks ago I'd never seen this gun before!Rolleyes

Bruce gave me detailed instructions on Sunday and showed me what to sand and what to cut off but I've forgotten half of his information..... Yuk
On mine I did the following

Sanded off all the embossed safety legal messages and the Star Wars logo as smooth to the body as I could

Removed the dart holder on the side

Covered the clear cover on the end of the scope

Light sanding over the whole body to prep for spraying with a gray primer

Sprayed with the gray primer and let dry for 24 hours

Sprayed a couple of coats of silver or chrome colour and let dry

Covered the area that I wanted to keep silver e.g. Muzzle end of the blaster and the ejection ports

Sprayed the rest black for couple of coats and let dry

Lightly sanded areas to weather the gun by having the silver/chrome show through

Couple of coats of a clear protective layer and let dry

I also before painting chopped off the end of the Nerf plunger, drilled a hole and put the ring off a backpack as a fake d ring on the end but I think you can get away without that. I think beanie didn't bother with that step

Also if worried get a cheap nerf to practice on
DW2013 to DW2018
Perfect thanks Duras...what kind/brand of spray paint and primer?
I was using Australia Export from Super Cheap Auto as was 4 cans for a $10 when I was starting messing with my Nerf

The Australia Export stuff worked fine for my Nerf, Hasbro Doopy Doo blaster conversion and my DH17 but I am planning to try out the Plastikote stuff from Masters next. I know Beanie has been using it but it is a bit pricier ... I think about $15 a can
DW2013 to DW2018
i wouldnt use Plastikote for the blaster, in fact i didnt even use a primer, just sanded down the texts and then a light sand over everything, wash it dry it and then use cheap bunnings or repco supercheap spray paint. Matte Black and Shiny Siliver. i think it was like $10 all up.

if you want rach i can do the blaster for you, i still got all the spray paint ect.
<p>
[Image: CtjvZdX.gif]
FNG
Distance traveled to troop: 98462kms
Once member of TAG before Redback was a squad, Redback Inter-Garrison Officer (2010-2012) & Merchandise officer (2015-2017) and Tatooine Base Command 2012-2016
</p>
Thanks guys!
Beanie really appreciate the offer but I'll give it a go myself, will be kinda satisfying to say I did it myself I think. I mean, how much can I really stuff it up?! LOL Don't answer that..... Duras ......
Bring it over on Saturday and we can go through it after the party?

Terror
Spoilsport Rach

Don't stress too much it's a easy one to paint

If you grind / sand too much off its battle damage

If the paint job no good - sand it back and have another go. You would only lost paint and your time but still gained experience

One thing to keep in middle is that you will be your own worst critic
DW2013 to DW2018
Just wait until you drop or a kid does, stress goes out the window thenWink

Terror
Ha! Truly not that stressed, just want to do it right and uphold the high standards!
You're right Duras, mistakes can be corrected with paint and sanding...
I'll bring it Saturday TerrorFirma, if only to confirm what I need to remove/replace/cut off on the gun!
Looking forward to it, and thanks again for the help!