Greetings fellow Star Wars fantatics
Greetings all,

I've been meaning to do this for a while now posting up this thread as I would give anything to join. I know one of your members DZ 5347 as she's a very dear friend to me and she's told me to do this greetings thread for a while now. My history with Star Wars goes back to my father he's the one that introduced me to the first 3 best movies and ever since then I've loved the Star Wars Universe I've read everything I can read about the Star Wars and even played all Star Wars games that have been created so far.

I know that I'll never ever be able to get the detail outfits that you guys have done, but my ultimate dream would be a cadet of the Redback Garrison.

To me that would be the best moment of my life be able to be a cadet and do whatever I can to help the garrison and raise money for all the different charities and lets not forget bring happiness to children. I saw you guys at Gold Coast Supanova the weekend just past and you guys are amazing, see the smiles and joys on both children teenagers and adults made me want to join in the fun and do that.

I've got a Star Wars charcter that I've been working on that goes with my forum name, but that's for another forum if any of you guys would like to hear about it then I shall put it in the right forum section.

Well I've rambled on for far to long, any help on being a cadet would be fantastic, I'll try to be the best cadet as I can be and follow the Redback Garrison mission code of conduct to the letter.

Thanks for taking the time to read

Artemis
Welcome Artemis,
New Cadet's are always welcome and we need all the help we can get with such a rapidly growing Garrison, but don't write yourself off just yet as far a a detailed and accurate costume. I'm sure as newbies we all thing that, but we're a helpful bunch (as I'm sure Lisa will tell you), and you'd be surprised what you can achieve once you put your mind to it.
The Gold Coast supernova was my 12 month anniversary as I trooped it in my first costume, an Imperial Officer. It's a nice, simple and relatively cheap option, and since then I've completed my first hard armor in the form of a Storm Trooper.
It has been a fantastic 12 months and I've hand some amazing experiences and met some wonderful people that I'm sure I'll be lifelong friends with. Don't be a stranger, try to get along to a troop as it will be great to meet you.

Cheers
Craig
Stormtroopers: instant recognition combined with complete anonymity
:GCSN12: DW2012 BN12 GCSN13 :DW13:
Welcome Artemis if you are a friend of of Duck's ( and Rubber's ) and you are a Star Wars fanatic you will fit in around here Doppeldaumen1 By joining you have taken another step along your Star Wars journey and I'm sure you will enjoy the trip.

Don't be daunted about doing up a costume, yes some of them require a fair bit of work, but there are plenty of people around who will be able to help you out. But the best advice I can give you is to always ask questions, there is no such thing as a silly question and it is always better to ask too many questions than not enough.

If you enjoyed seeing us as at SupaNova and are free on the weekend of the 4-5th of May we will be going to DreamWorld and there will be over 100 of us there. It will also be a great place to get costume advice and ideas.
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
Welcome Smile

Never say never, especially not around a group like the Redbacks, if you need help putting a costume together, there's someone around here with the skills to assist...

Definitely try to get along to a troop or an armour party, pretty much all of us start out as a wrangler helping the troopers out while we work on our first builds, and more hands to help are always a good thing
Welcome to the Redback forums...
And congratulations, you are now a Redback Garrison Cadet... Smile

The next step up is a Verified Cadet, so you will have access to more of the Forums...
(Lisa can sort that for you)

DW2012 BN12
GCSN13 :DW13:
Thanks for all of the wonderful replies, I may not be able to make it to the Dreamworld event as money is a bit tight at the moment after the awesome weekend at Gold Coast Supanova, as I am a TAFE student with bills to pay. I didn't even know DZ 5347 real name as I only know her as Rayvn Winters Night, if I can't make it to the Dreamworld event what other events do you guys have coming up? I do want to put together a Star Wars outfit but I'll never be able to portray my Star Wars character I've been working on as the character is a she.

Their is one legion 501st Legion member that I would love to talk to as I met her at Supanova the weekend past, she's portraying her own Star Wars character in the expanded universe named Kim I think it was she's like a wolf or cat type creature, her outfit was amazing and very well done. I would be able to tell you guys who I mean as she's in the group photo that's on the Redback Garrison facebook page.

Thank you all for being so awesome, I got very nervous doing this thread as you guys get to know me more you'll understand why I'm shy and nervous. Smile
Tirillia is the cat Smile

And you can see a list of all our upcoming events here http://www.501st.com.au/forum/events.php
Awesome thanks Bull for that, I don't think she's part of the Redback Garrison tho. I do hope you guys will be at Brisbane Suapnova this year. I'll talk to Lisa more about how I can help you guys in any way that I can.
The cat is a great costume and that Nova was the fist time I had seen it other then pictures

My mouth was dropping with the public's when i saw her mouth moved when she spoke... it was freaking so cool Smile
DW2013 to DW2018
Yes she indeedy is Smile My forum name is Duck, Lisa very rarely gets used ( but you can keep calling me Rayvn since that's what you are use to).

Now.....It is about time you joined up! so welcome and ....do you really think I am going to let you get away with just being a verified cadet???? hmmmm?

Someone said earlier that an imperial officer is a great option. This would be a great start for you. You will have a Star Wars costume and you will be able to wrangle - because the officer is a fully sighted character, you can do what we call wrangling, meaning making sure the armoured members are ok, hydrated, fed, not in danger. I am not sure how much of our forums you can currently see, but here is a great thread about wrangling http://www.501st.com.au/forum/thread-418...=Wrangling - hopefully you have enough access to see it.

As far as getting a costume together Kris, when you first join, it is all very daunting. The terminology, the expense, the building when you don't know what you are doing can be intimidating. Just remember some of our members are in the same boat as you, students, families, workers ect with not a lot of free cash. Not many of us, if any here, are rich with unlimited funds to spend. With the support of the Garrison, we all get there. Start yourself a little Redback costume fund and remember there is not huge rush and it would be good for you to start off wrangling anyway.

So I suggest -
Read here in regards to building an approvable costume http://www.501st.com.au/forum/forum-8.html

When you pick a 501st character, like the Imperial Officer for instance, start up a build thread in the forums and show us your progress. You will get heaps of advice and encouragment. If you do something wrong, someone is sure to let you know and how to correct it.

Don't rush your build, some of us take a couple of years on our projects. Research, ask questions ( I am the queen of stupid questions, so don't ever feel silly), experiment different ways of doing things, come along to armour parties.
To save on expense, I try to learn how to do things for myself. Like create my own molds, make my own accessories and costume parts. With most costumes, there is a poor mans way to build your costume.

Some costumes really are expensive all the way, but there are others that you can do with on a budget.

With my Twi'lek build I am on a few forums that have lots of tutorials, youtube is also fabulous for learning how to do stuff, there are costume how to threads here, I talk to other members about how to do the more tricky things and the poor woman at a modeling, special eff3cts store has her brain picked dry every time Rubber and I enter.

Also don't get upset if your costume is not approved first time round. This just means you have to fix something up. You will be told what to fix and how. My first costume was a Jawa, and was not approved first time. I had to go back fix up things and re submit.

So really there is no excuse, you have to do a costume because I know you would love to own one. But take your time and don't give up Doppeldaumen1

(Tuesday 23-Apr-2013, 08:16 AM)Artemis Wrote:  Awesome thanks Bull for that, I don't think she's part of the Redback Garrison tho. I do hope you guys will be at Brisbane Suapnova this year. I'll talk to Lisa more about how I can help you guys in any way that I can.

oh and check these links out too

http://www.501st.com/forum/index.php?sid...c06cd2a01e

http://www.theflagshipeclipse.com/
(Tuesday 23-Apr-2013, 08:02 AM)Artemis Wrote:  I'll never be able to portray my Star Wars character I've been working on as the character is a she.

Their is one legion 501st Legion member that I would love to talk to as I met her at Supanova the weekend past, she's portraying her own Star Wars character in the expanded universe named Kim I think it was she's like a wolf or cat type creature, her outfit was amazing and very well done. I would be able to tell you guys who I mean as she's in the group photo that's on the Redback Garrison facebook page.

It really depends how comfortable you feel we have a few female Storm/Scout/Sandtroopers and some of the troopers do wear kilts, and we there has been a male slave Leia. So while it might look more Cannon/Movie as the right gender dont let it stop you ( but it would stop me )

The Cat is a Jedi so is part of the Rebel Legion and they have a bit more leeway with alien looking characters the the 501st, so depending on whether your character has 3 reference pics ( from movie/games/comics ) and is a "goodie" you may look into joining our sister rebel group Tatooine Base.
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
Welcome!
Never say never...most of us never thought we'd end up here either!
Its the best thing you can do, if you're a Star Wars fan!!!! Join us!!
Welcome aboard. You've just found the coolest slice of nerd-fandom in Australia - the Mighty Redback Garrison!
I survived Dreamworld 2010CVI
DW2011CVII
DW2012
DW2013
DW2014
DW2015
Welcome Artemis!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think every woman should have a blowtorch. - Julia Child

DW2012 BN12
welcome. I was freaked out about even going near any tools to work on a costume. now i've got 4 costumes.
hope you can become a full member and troop with us! I couldn't imagine just being a cadet full-time
[Image: SIG_zpsed128473.jpg]
:GCSN12: DW2012 BN12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings fellow members! Tremble Clef 8 9,469 Saturday 16-Dec-2017, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Imperial Drone
  Hey fellow midichlorians in new here Diatium 17 20,800 Thursday 29-May-2014, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Diatium
  I thought i knew Star wars orgs77 34 56,056 Monday 6-Dec-2010, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Neoeffect