Is a Mill simply a drop press with a movable base?
First a bit of background in case someone can see a better way of doing things (in my job I normally find its better to know what the user needs as the end result rather then listening to what they tell me they want to have as can normally find a better way)

So I'm not a handy man type as a rule but i have been enjoying getting my hands dirty with the armour build and the 2 E-11's I made as birthday gifts for a nephew and a buddy of mine

Its now starting to become the time I want to make a E-11 for myself. Now I found the part I was normally least happiest with the finish off was the cutting out of the ejection port and the cocking bolt slides. I was simply using a dremal and cutting disc but found I didn't get great lines (this could be a needs more practice thing admittedly)

To get better lines I was then thinking about a milling machine but from what I can see most DIY/Home user type milling machines just seem to be a drop press with the movable base (Compound Table). If this is true can I just get a Compound Table and mount it to the Drill Press and be sweet? or am I thinking its too simple and missing an important detail?

and if I can just get a Compound Table does any one have any suggestions ? e.g. this one I found
http://www.mytoolstore.com.au/products.p...TABLE-KT70

Obviously the drill bits will be different though Smile thought better get that in before some smart arse like myself did
DW2013 to DW2018
you can buy a small mill for around $1000
Yeah I thought about that but at this point I don't know if I will be doing enough to justify that cost. If it turns out well ..maybe it's something I will offer to the garrison but there's already two good blaster makers out there Smile

So it's either cheap or borrow somone's and see if works for me before going to that budget
DW2013 to DW2018
Ur... Umm No...
The bearings in the Quill (drill press neck spiny thing) will not handle the sideways motion of Milling, only up and down motion...

A drill press is for drilling....
A mill is for milling, drilling, boring, precision hole placement, a mill is way more versatile. Smile

But, if you only want to move an object sideways to achieve more accurate lines while drilling holes, then the sliding compound table would work fine...

Hope that helps...

Smile

DW2012 BN12
GCSN13 :DW13: