How do decide which costume?
Hi there. I've been a Star Wars nut since I was 9 and interested in joining the Legion but trying to decide which costume to start with let alone how to make it.
I'm based in Central Qld and wondering if anything is going on with the legion out here. Wow. Just saw a photo scrolling past on website of stormtroopers holding koalas. Yep, troopers aren't always bad.
Any suggestions on where to start in research, fabrics and design would be welcome.
Michelle
Hey Rainsinger and welcome

normally the advice is to pick the costume that you have an affinity too as this helps you keep the passion if you hit any bumps Smile

check out the Costume Resource Library at http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CRL

from there pick the one you are most interested in doing and then join the detachment specific web site
e.g www.whitearmor.net for Stormtroopers, or imperialofficer.com for shockingly imperial officers Smile

on those sites you should be able to find suggestions for locations to purchase from or you can come back here and ask around

Next step also would be to look at the Events page (link at the top of the site) and offer to wrangle at an event.

This lets you join in the fun a little by helping out
Lets a member who may of wrangled armour up instead
gives you the chance to see the kit in person, how it goes together, goes on, etc...
DW2013 to DW2018
Welcome Rainsinger, for starters you are probably just as nutty as most people in the Redbacks. Hehehe We have just taken our enthusiasm to a higher level by dressing up as or favored Start wars characters. De[ending on where you are in CQ there are a few guys based around Rocky ( Angelman, Joker and others ) and hopefully they will be able to help you out a bit. If you haven't decided on a costume yet it is probably a good idea to meet up with some of your local troopers and have a look at some armor close up.

Another thing to keep in mind is before you buy anything ask questions here first, there are a few makers of "approved" Star Wars items which wont get you approved in the Legion.
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
Welcome Smile

From CQ? I'll send you a PM, we have a solid core of troopers here now, so you're far from alone and we'd love to catch up!

On the costume, as has been said, read up in the CRL, ask lots of questions of the other troopers and be prepared to work hard to make it happen, but above all, Choose a character you love, and that you'll enjoy costuming as.

Many people opt for a cheaper/faster/simpler build as the one they find their feet on, and then progress on to the more complicated and expensive costumes later, so that option is always open as well Smile
Michelle, Just pick whatever you like, or takes your fancy..Smile
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
(Tuesday 6-Aug-2013, 02:37 PM)JOker Wrote:  Welcome Smile

From CQ? I'll send you a PM, we have a solid core of troopers here now, so you're far from alone and we'd love to catch up!

If your from a little further up the road I am originally from Mackay and will be going back there in November for a few months, I am keen to get a some people interested if you are nearby. Smile

Location aside there are members and events all over the state so look forward to seeing you soon and hope you enjoy your stay :D
First in and last out of every battle, the air is our domain.
We will fly, fight and win!!!
Welcome! Great to have more girls joining up!
Pick a costume that means something to you or a character that you like that might suit you. Remember the Redbacks are the bad guys, there is another sister club the Rebel Legion (Tatooine Base covers Qld) for the good guy costumes.
Cost and complexity/time/ the temperature where you live, are things to consider too.
I copied and pasted this from another cadet asking similar questions today:
A quick costume/guide summary:
A jawa costs between $200-500 depending on the quality of what you make/buy and what you add on like blasters and droid callers. (it is also dual approvable meaning you can gain membership to the bad and good guys clubs with this one costume, so its very cost effective and a lot of us started with a jawa).
An Imperial Officer costume costs from about $500+ depending again on the quality of what you buy/make and what extras you add, like proper leather boots, gun holster etc etc.
Armour like a TK stormtrooper or a clone can cost from about $1,200 up depending on the supplier, shipping etc (shipping to Aus is very expensive)
A Vader or Boba Fett costumes costs thousands as well as a lot of money per year on the maintenance of them.

Hope that helps! You're in great hands with the guys up north and you'll have a lot of fun here!
Woo hoo, another Central Queenslander, welcome.
Happy to help out where we can, I'd just be repeating most of the advice that's already been given.
I'll just add that before you spend anything on costume check with a member that what you are buying will actually be approvable.
(Many items on Evilbay (as we like to call it) claim 501st approval or 'screen accurate' but are generally far from it).

Michael & Lisa (LadyTarkin)
Michael (Angelman TK6729)
DW2012 :DW13: :DW14:
:GCSN12: GCSN13  GCSN14
I'm THAT guy from the video, 501st Documentary (Link)
Welcome Michelle, good luck with your research.
Stormtroopers: instant recognition combined with complete anonymity
:GCSN12: DW2012 BN12 GCSN13 :DW13:
I made a list of favourite 501st characters, then counted the pennies in my purse and had a reality check of my current build capabilities. My first costume was the easier of the group to make. My second I bought from a fellow member and then adjusted to suit me and made a baby to go with it. I then took the bull by the horns and I am currently building from scratch a Twi'lek. The 4th? Waaaay out of my league of build capability so I have one of my Garrison friends making it.
So make your list, research exactly what you need to bring it to life, count your pennies, look at practicality of the build, can you do it? Or need to enlist help? If you ned help do they have time currently to help?
(Wednesday 7-Aug-2013, 09:44 AM)Duck Wrote:  I then took the bull by the horns and I am currently building from scratch a Twi'lek.

Explain me please -
could a Twi'lek character be a part of the 501th? I thought Twi'lek is something from Rebels, no?
It depends on the character there are some Twileks that are in the 501st like Bib Fortuna Jabba the Hutts majordomo, and there are others that are rebel like the Jedi Aayla Secura .
Duty * Honor * Empire

What do you call a stormtrooper who can hit a target?
TIE Pilot Cheeky
Eleena Daru is 501st as she is Darth Malguses ahem minion. Darth Talon is better known, and there are more obscure Twi'lek 501st but I haven't found enough good reference pics to build them.
I would find a costume/character that you like the most or most relate to. I love the Tusken Raiders, they're a bit like me, off the the side, tempermental, loners and can go from nice to furious in 10 second flat.HeheheTusken
ONE SHOT. ONE KILL. NO EXCEPTIONS

I survived Dreamworld 2010I survived Supanova 2010:dw11SadJUST)
(Wednesday 7-Aug-2013, 01:35 PM)stormraven Wrote:  It depends on the character there are some Twileks that are in the 501st like Bib Fortuna Jabba the Hutts majordomo, and there are others that are rebel like the Jedi Aayla Secura .

Emmmm. What is common between Jabba and Vader?
Or you, guys, just separate all characters from SW to good and to bad?
So, Jabba also may take a part in children's event too? Doppeldaumen1