Ainsworth or Lucasfilm
greetings,

I've recently developed a keen interest to join a local garisson in the 501st since I already own a stormtrooper costume.
A few issues arose however, after reading several forums and other articles online, it became evident to me that there are more or less two distinct versions of TK's available. One being the 'ainsworth' design which is based on the original stormtrooper from the first three Star Wars films & the other is a replica made by 'lucasfilm'.
As far as I know the latter is typically not approved by the 501st as it doesn't meet the requirements. Are there any exceptions or should I be looking at the 'ainsworth' design if I'm to be approved for a garisson with the 501st?
All of your TK (stormtrooper) answer can be found here

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/

The requirements for an approvable TK can be found here (there are many versions):

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

FISD/whitearmor has heaps of information on recommended/not recommended suppliers of TK armour.
I assume the "Lucasfilm" one you mean, is the Lucasfilm licensed Rubies costume?
After a little research, you'll notice why the "Licensed" version is not approvable, and is not considered accurate enough.

Do some research on the Armour, and what type you want.
A kit you build is the best ans cheapest option, as you build it to fit yourself, and it's much cheaper than a Shepperaton Design Studios set..
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
thanks guys, this has definitely confirmed it.
This will save me a lot of time & effort trying to modify my current one. I've had it for a while and often wondered why it looks "bubbly" compared to others I saw marching.
Yeah the 'lucasfilm' one is from rubies, it's more of an action figure type of costume it seems.
I'm currently looking at a ANH shepperton one but it doesn't mention if its stunt or hero.
Thread just moved to cadets area - youll get a lot more help here.
DW2011CVICVII
I'm also wondering if the 'lucasfilm' costume could be appropriated to potentially pass as a 'Heavy Weapons Trooper'?
I've spoken to a 501st member at this years supernova in sydney and he mentioned that this could be the case.
If it's a rubies then you have no chance. They are not even close to approvable*

*sorry was typing on my phone, and as per Phantom's post below it is possible, but a huge amount of work.
You can modify a rubies costume but it does take a lot of effort.
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."

DW2011DW2012DW2013DW2014DW2015
BN14GCSN15
ok, yea. I thought as much. The shepperton ANH (stunt) would be the one for me I think.
I may keep the rubies for fun (costuming) etc.

Thanks again for all the info, very helpful.
The SDS is good, but expensive.
You really should look at a kit, as it's much cheaper, fun to build and not really that hard to do.

We have APs, Armour parties, where we get together and help out people neding to build or repair stuff... You could have a suit built in a week if you put your mind to it. Custom fitted to you.

Still, if you have the money and no time, an SDS set should be approvable...
I survived Dreamworld 2010 to DW2015
BN10 to BN13
GCSN13
CVII
That's great. It does look like it would become the 'ANH' (stunt) although I'm not sure as to the differences between the 'stunt' & the 'hero'. The black brow bar is noticeably raised on the 'stunt' helmet.
The basic differences between the ANH Hero & Stunt are :-

* Hero - Low Brow, 3 Bumps on Ears, 2 Screws on Ears, 6 Teeth on frown, Bubble Lenses

* Stunt - High Brow, 4 Bumps on Ears, 3 Screws on Ears, 8 Teeth on frown, Flat Lenses

The actual movies are a little misleading as sometimes these things were mixed up between suits due to costume department mistakes, breakages ect., (e.g. Hero Helmet with High Brow ect.) but this gives you an idea.

My advice would be to select the suit you've always loved, e.g. the TK at the bottom of the boarding ramp of the Millennium Falcon. This way you end up with the exact suit that always fired your imagination, rather than a generic trooper.

As Dave said a kit is by far the cheapest way to go, and you have the experience & satisfaction of crafting your own perfectly fitted costume.
Stormtroopers: instant recognition combined with complete anonymity
:GCSN12: DW2012 BN12 GCSN13 :DW13:
Oh cool. I thought the differences might mostly just be helmet related. I did see one with soft armour pieces, they had a 'leather look'. :|
I was always taken by the opening sequence in ANH where the troopers burst through the blast door. I've gone for an "assembled" one going on measurements.
I'd imagine it will still need some adjusting & modifying to scrub up to "canon".