Looking to make armour from scratch.
good luck, and send Mouldman a PM, he would be able to give you info about setting this sorta thing up and costs etc...
-----------------------------
DW2012
~ Because overkill is never enough ~

Stuff I do...
- Stormtrooper
- Imperial Officer
- Photographer (Canon EOS 7D)
- Paramedic (NSW Ambulance)
Mate I can attest to the cost involved in making a vacuum forming table, oven, materials needed for making the moulds and the time taken to create said moulds. It is a hell of a lot more than seeking out an armour maker and purchasing a suit. Anyone who says it is cheaper than buying a suit doesn't know what they are talking about. You are always better of just buying a suit unless you want to mass produce them. Pepakura on the other hand may be a viable way to go. Never seen a pepakura trooper.
(Friday 11-Feb-2011, 07:47 PM)bodieh Wrote:  I don't understand how people seem to think accuracy comes from pouring money in, i think making accurate armour would come from spending time making the moulds.
The process of vacuum forming is generally the same with everyone, the only thing that changes is the moulds, which come down to how good you are with sculpting/woodworking.

Take it from me, scratch building an armour to wear is bloody expensive. I've lost track of how much my Seatrooper has cost me in cash, let alone time, and I know that there is still alot more to be paid.

While the accuracy of the mould is heavily reliant on the time you spend on it (because it's never an over night, over week or even over month project), it is also reliant on the quality of the stuff you use to make it, and the cheap stuff ain't gonna get you decent accuracy. Or a decent final product.

I think, if a kit is there that you can buy, you'd be saving yourself time and money (because what if it gets rejected for approval, you basically have to re-work your moulds). If you plan to go into production and do regular runs of kits on the other hand, it is probably the best thing to do as you would avoid anybody accusing you of recasting. But that's where the hard work and effort comes into play. And for a TK, there's a pretty defined benchmark that you'd have to replicate or improve on.

Don't let me discourage you though, I'm just speaking from experience. I've spent 13 months on the seatrooper now, and still have a long way before it's finished. Then longer again before approval and even longer still before making moulds to make copies of it.
[Image: sterb104.gif]
(Friday 11-Feb-2011, 06:43 PM)bodieh Wrote:  Well i have looked into it and the materials to make the moulds, the vacuum forming machine, and the plastic to make the actual armour... well they certainly don't seem as expensive as the armour kits i've seen being sold, unless i just haven't been looking in the right places.

The main problem we're having is finding accurate pictures to base the moulds on.

Both those statements couldnt be farther from the truth.

I wouldnt know where to start, but I will say that even if you manage to build a vac forming rig that does a good job, and moulds that are 501st screen accurate you'll spend more on plastic than a suit learning to get a good clean pull on each piece before you have even close to suit youd be happy with.

Not trying to discourage you, Vac forming can be alot of fun and there's lots of people on these boards that have lots of experience in that area that would be happy to help you along, we love prop making on these forums. Just trying to bring home the realization of what a good set of TK armour takes and costs.

Like Muppet said, check out the whitearmour boards, theres plenty of detailed info and pics of everything TK.
The Legions 1st approved Incinerator Peace[Image: n1inci.jpg]
I reckon good on you for having a go! May you sculpt beautiful armor that would put Michael Angelo's 'David' to shame. May the Dark side guide your skills to produce clean, strong and sharp ABS pulls for the Empire!

It's all down to the quality of sculpting! The rest is all production set up costs...
[edit] I would suggest tho to purchase an approved 501st armor to use that as a guide to sculpt a sharper more detailed suit with improvement [edit]

Please post many Pics of your trials and tribulations...

Good luck and may the Dark side be victorious!
Ummmmmm.......I have FX armor for sale? 501 st approved too.

Pm me if you want pics and price.

Basic kits cost 4-500. Helmet is 230. Under suit 100. Blaster 80. Boots 110. Gloves 20. Lifelong memories making people happy.......priceless.

Vacuum forming is expensive as MM has already said. He'd know to!

Let me know.
I just wanted to post this here: http://www.geekologie.com/2010/10/how_to...tormtr.php

If you aren't interested in 501st approval, keen on saving money, willing to put in a fair bit of time, this will be great!
-----------

I am a Melbournian, living in Sydney, who somehow joined the forum for a Queensland garrison.Peace

[Image: elwyn5150.png]
(Friday 18-Feb-2011, 02:31 PM)elwyn5150 Wrote:  I just wanted to post this here: http://www.geekologie.com/2010/10/how_to...tormtr.php

If you aren't interested in 501st approval, keen on saving money, willing to put in a fair bit of time, this will be great!

And like to drink a lot of milk! YaY! for the 2Litre Jug Head substitution! His name is Paul! lol (in case your not sure...drum roll.............
its Paul for Pauls Milk brand)

Boom -TISHHHHHHHHHH!

Thank you Thank you Wink

Go for it. and keep us all updated. Wink