Aqua Mando paint comission
Hey all,

I have just started work on a armour paint commission for Sithprincess. So I've created a thread where everyone can see stage by stage work and eventually the final product.

For the majority of parts I will be using Rustoleum Ultra cover paints. Sithprincess has given me a lot of artistic freedom with this project, as long as it of course fits in with it being an underwater mando.

Today I preped the armour pieces for the undercoat.
This involves sanding each armour piece so that the surface will allow the paint to adhere to it well.
each piece is sanded, then washed to remove all the dust.

[Image: CD3DE2B4-4BD6-4171-BFC9-0ABF6927F86E_zpsdp5dquor.jpg]

After prep the pieces start to get their first layer of paint.
Starting off with a light mist coat, then slowly working it up to solid coverage. Each piece will get around 3 coats of white.

[Image: A83F5695-BA3B-4FA9-927D-0AB5B86CD131_zpslvlihsgd.jpg]
Clones are cooler
Great wip. How long do you wait between each light coats. Pending current climate of course.
[Image: 5034518159_37cdf3e6d4_z.jpg]
Today with these light coated each piece starting at one end and working to the other. Doing this i just slowly built up the paint until almost none of the material colour showed through. This is only the first coat. Will still need another probably 2 coats
Clones are cooler
Awesome! Another mando!
[Image: jImnAK.jpg]
Will be following this with interest as think I'm way way way too impatient with my spraying
DW2013 to DW2018
That's a nice looking armour design.
Some of the colours i picked up today
[Image: 4A14B94B-1F4B-40E3-950C-A40103696E2C_zps7hfwihg4.jpg]
Doing the final base coats on the armour
- Hot tip: when spraying with satin and matte finish paints, build the paint up slowly until it looks glossy. Once it looks glossy don't apply any more paint, otherwise you'll apply too much and the paint will run/drip.
[Image: D42B538D-FB34-4E10-B147-3D06633F4523_zpszisxbjwy.jpg]
Clones are cooler
Benji please explain: In the first shot you have done light sprays of undercoat using cheaper spray.
With the selected colours from RustOleum it states it has paint+primer added on the can.
Wouldn't you just use RustOleum or do you still recommend using the cheaper primer first and go light with the Rusty sprays ?
Thanks
[Image: 5034518159_37cdf3e6d4_z.jpg]
(Thursday 20-Mar-2014, 01:21 PM)SupaTrooper Wrote:  Benji please explain: In the first shot you have done light sprays of undercoat using cheaper spray.
With the selected colours from RustOleum it states it has paint+primer added on the can.
Wouldn't you just use RustOleum or do you still recommend using the cheaper primer first and go light with the Rusty sprays ?
Thanks

That white is just a can i had in the garage so it was good to use as a first coat to ensure the parts were sanded well enough and that the paint would adhere properly. I did end up sanding back this first coat a bit in some areas, where some specks of dust had floated onto the paint while drying.

But with the primer+paint cans no, I don't use a primer. But I do make sure the first coat is only a light coat. But you always need to make sure you lightly sand every part with 320grit, or 240grit (that's been used a bit) sandpaper before painting. Smooth shiny surfaces can cause the paint to flake off after some time. Having the sanded surface allows the paint to grip to the surface better.
Clones are cooler
Started doing some of the colours today.
This is the start of the camo pattern pieces:
[Image: 8799DC33-8369-49DF-AB23-F287874D2427_zpskrtalxcb.jpg]

And just some playing around with colours on the ab:
[Image: 759C6377-BB1F-407F-9DFF-14223388CE8A_zpsimtveqn1.jpg]
Clones are cooler
is this fully custom or are there any pics you are using to go off ?
DW2012 TO DW2015
BN11 TO BN14
:GCSN12: TO GCSN15

(Sunday 23-Mar-2014, 06:12 PM)scope Wrote:  is this fully custom or are there any pics you are using to go off ?

fully custom mate
Clones are cooler
Ooh ooh, looking good! I'm so excited. Jig

Thanks Benji. Notworthy
Bunnies..... The cutest things ever!
More camo updates:[Image: 8FFF028E-7609-4E6F-9D38-DA6443F57488_zpsoe0qmtsc.jpg]
Clones are cooler
Looking really good!

Terror