Scotty33's really dodgy, cheap Captain Rex helmet conversion attempt
Hi all, I had a not-so bright idea to convert my son's Captain Rex mask into a helmet for him because I am sick of seeing him struggle with the velcro and elastic.
This is the first time I've really tried anything like this, and it's not going to be awesome, just to give him something that he thinks is cool.
Starting point:
I have a hardhat which I bought for the liner, so I chopped the bottom of that to make a helmet-ish shape. Fits nicely inside the Rex mask. I was going to just velcro it in, but have decided to hinge it to make it easier for him to put on. I was thinking a couple of split rivets near the temples might work, but any suggestions welcome.
[Image: IMG_4986_zpsihtrxsib.jpg]

Paints I am using (note, where the blue can says it is touch dry in 30 minutes, it lies):
[Image: IMG_4991_zpsazpmt4fv.jpg]

Put a coat of the primer on, then a coat of the Antique White, colour is not too bad compared to the Rex mask.

Taped for the design on the back of the Phase 1 helmet, forgetting that my taping skills are really, really bad. I also missed taping a bit down the bottom.
And sprayed blue:
[Image: IMG_4989_zpslrzvkpoq.jpg]

Turned out looking too dodgy even for me, so I will start again tomorrow, and try and get the lines straight and the circle round.
[Image: IMG_4990_zpsreohgsir.jpg]

Hopefully I get it done this week!
Love it mate. Anything to make the kids happy. Thats what its about.
Can you outrun a rocket.... How about we find out.

DW2015
Thanks Whitey!
Today was a day of sanding, sanding, priming, sanding, priming etc.
But he is still pretty excited. Smile
Better taping!
[Image: IMG_5025_zpshdy1srg3.jpg]

Painting! (Sanded, then a second coat, then sanded lightly to get rid of the gloss)
[Image: IMG_5027_zpsyieucopg.jpg]

Finished product! (Like I said, it's not perfect, it was never going to be, there's some of the paint that ripped off with the tape, but overall, my little boy will be stoked, and I won't have to help him with the elastic again, which I forgot to cut off)
[Image: IMG_5029_zpsacu28vss.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5028_zps4moq8usr.jpg]
Well, that was a hit, he's already asked me to do another one with his Vader mask!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Build Thread Cheap & Dodgy, I'll show you Cheap & Dodgy! MyKill 18 3,466 Wednesday 11-Nov-2015, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Diatium