Bolt's Z-6 Rotary Cannon build
Today's progress!

I went up to the local Hardware store and grabbed some dowel, L brackets and checked out their AG Pipe. They had some but you could only get it in 10m lengths and it was going to cost $60. Hmm so I bought the rest of my stuff and went back to my car wondering if I could justify $60 worth of pipe just to use 1m. But then I had an idea, I went driving around to all the building sites down the street from my house, and after 3 tries I found a length about 1.5m long. Perfect! Granted it was dirty and slightly dented but after a wash and a coat of paint I have a length that I can cut down to the size that I need.

[Image: 20160312_110416_zpsnica5e3u.jpg]

[Image: 20160312_174723_zpsdxwg7dd8.jpg]

So then things went kinda downhill today, I fitted the backing plate to the drive rod and slid it into the gun... straight away I could see that it was a bit wobbly when spinning.. hmm.. so I played with it for ages and eventually just mounted everything up to see how it would go. Yeh not so great! I did take a video (I might upload it later) but things did not go so well. It rotated yes, but if you held the trigger for too long it would build up a decent wobble! And not long after filming one of the copper nuts, that I am using as a bearing, decided to seize it's self onto the drive shaft. Much WD-40 and effort later and I got it off, but the rod now looks like this:

[Image: 20160312_174506_zpstduksepm.jpg]

So not brilliant progress! But (and most importantly) I learned what won't work! So back to the drawing board. Not to worry though I am going to consult a fitter and turner that I know for a few ideas Smile
[Image: 53635972792_7031aa3c80_z.jpg]
(Saturday 12-Mar-2016, 08:12 PM)Bolt_2112 Wrote:  But then I had an idea, I went driving around to all the building sites down the street from my house, and after 3 tries I found a length about 1.5m long. Perfect! Granted it was dirty and slightly dented but after a wash and a coat of paint I have a length that I can cut down to the size that I need.
Nice score there mate, the dents just add that battle worn character Wink

(Saturday 12-Mar-2016, 08:12 PM)Bolt_2112 Wrote:  So not brilliant progress! But (and most importantly) I learned what won't work! So back to the drawing board. Not to worry though I am going to consult a fitter and turner that I know for a few ideas Smile
Well by the sounds of it, it seems you'll be in good hand Luke Doppeldaumen1
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
Distance Traveled To Troops =  4346.4km
The problem with anything that spins is the balance. This is why it wobbles. If you think about a car wheel and why you need them checked for balance due to rotational speed and the overall weight distribution of both that wheel and the tyre , every time you add another part to it, it becomes ever more difficult to keep it spinning smoothly without a wobble. The centrifugal force is not equal in all outward direction due to the absolute slightest imperfection in any component that you have added onto the spindle, including the variables in the spindle itself. When you increase the speed of rotation this is dramatically amplified at the outer most point or diameter. So unless everything is equal and the mount of the drill part you are using is mounted solid and without vibration, it is going to be very difficult to get something to spin smoothly without a lot of trial and error. An off the shelf solution generally is engineered to facilitate its end purpose, so for something home made, your ideas were fantastic, but the desired result is very difficult to achieve.
I really hope you get it to work the way you intended because I for one am excited to see it in action.
Good luck and keep up the excellent work.
"The Death Star plans are not in the main computer"

[Image: T0ZvRQv.png]

[Image: Eu2xjUD.png]
I have a random sleep deprived through... Could be terrible but hey I Think to much about costumes and props building while trying to get to sleep at night Wink

What if you used a large turn table bearing, like whats used on lazy suzan.
Would somehow embedding a bearing help stablizie both sides, smooth it out a bit and give it more to mount onto? I honestly don't know and would love to hear what the other guys here think but it's food for thought anywayDoppeldaumen1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1Pc-6-140mm-H...SwZd1VZnZm
[Image: %24_57.JPG]
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
Thanks Sly and Studio 49. There's a fair bit of info here to chew on. I definitely want to try the bearings and focus on getting a nice spin first, then add some power. I think the main problem is that the barrels were only attached to the blaster with the drive rod. So if I can get the barrels attached and spinning without the rod first, I should be good to go
Today's update!

Good news! The first of my bearings arrived today, one of them like the one Studio 49 posted and another that looks like this:

[Image: tr_square_zpszeht1q9k.jpg]

This is the one that I fitted up this afternoon after a bit of a challenge figuring how to mount it up. Oh and I chose it over the nice round one because it was thinner and could spin faster.

But how does it spin now? See for yourself:

Heaps better! So some success finally Smile
Just waiting on the other self-adjusting bearings that will be mounted further down the drive shaft to replace the copper nuts that I was using.
A big thanks to Jonah for his help brainstorming and tracking down some local (as in Australian) sellers so I could get the bearings quickly. This project is back on track now!

That's all for today
Victory! Hurrah
[Image: aIWrVx8.gif]
(Thursday 17-Mar-2016, 08:58 PM)Bolt_2112 Wrote:  Heaps better! So some success finally Smile
Just waiting on the other self-adjusting bearings that will be mounted further down the drive shaft to replace the copper nuts that I was using.
A big thanks to noah for his help brainstorming and tracking down some local (as in Australian) sellers so I could get the bearings quickly. This project is back on track now!

That's all for today

Dude, that did not disappoint, simply awesome! Peace I'll go star this on the S49 FB Page now I reckon! Also there's something strangely hypnotic about it too Wink
No worries on hunting down the bearings, they've worked like magic, but who's this Noah guy? Did I change my name or something Lol

Looking to seeing what the self adjusting bearings will do as well Doppeldaumen1
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
(Thursday 17-Mar-2016, 09:04 PM)Studio 49 Wrote:  
(Thursday 17-Mar-2016, 08:58 PM)Bolt_2112 Wrote:  Heaps better! So some success finally Smile
A big thanks to noah for his help brainstorming and tracking down some local (as in Australian) sellers so I could get the bearings quickly. This project is back on track now!

That's all for today

Dude, that did not disappoint, simply awesome! Peace I'll go star this on the S49 FB Page now I reckon! Also there's something strangely hypnotic about it too Wink
No worries on hunting down the bearings, they've worked like magic, but who's this Noah guy? Did I change my name or something Lol

Looking to seeing what the self adjusting bearings will do as well Doppeldaumen1

That would be what was left of your name when I was editing! Maybe I shouldn't post stuff after 7pm...
Nice work ! That is the same bearing I used and still going after years of spinning.
(Thursday 17-Mar-2016, 09:16 PM)Bolt_2112 Wrote:  That would be what was left of your name when I was editing! Maybe I shouldn't post stuff after 7pm...

Hahaha, no worries. I'm trying to write my 4000 Protuct Tech report and my Typos are frightening. But that Noah fella sounds like a cool dude, maybe I'll run into at a troop one day Wink

Excellent progress mate, It's already looking mighty impressive Doppeldaumen1
DW2016 DW2018 DW2019 
BN16 SN17 SN18 SN19
(Thursday 17-Mar-2016, 09:17 PM)Chivo Wrote:  Nice work ! That is the same bearing I used and still going after years of spinning.

Wow! great minds think alike hey?!
I must say it is pretty loud when it is rotating (you can hear it in the clip) sounds very menacing.
Ha that's very cool, great work mate.
"The Death Star plans are not in the main computer"

[Image: T0ZvRQv.png]

[Image: Eu2xjUD.png]
And the video had good production value too, graphics and everything! Lol Smile Doppeldaumen1
"Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I said supper is ready!"
DW2015 -> DW2018
OCC2015 -> OCC19
BN15 -> SN19
GCSN16 ->  GCSN19
(Friday 18-Mar-2016, 08:22 PM)Sly Wrote:  Ha that's very cool, great work mate.

Thanks Sly!

(Friday 18-Mar-2016, 09:28 PM)MyKill Wrote:  And the video had good production value too, graphics and everything! Lol Smile Doppeldaumen1

I do love some graphics in my videos Smile

Today/yesterday's update!

I have made some good visual progress recently, painted the barrel section and reassembled looking like this:

[Image: 20160319_175345_zpssbmqdcpy.jpg]

[Image: 20160319_175414_zpsqkfjqvht.jpg]

I haven't painted the insides of the barrels yet

[Image: 20160319_175431_zpswsgdhpho.jpg]

I am really happy with how the AG pipe came out Smile On my screen it looks gold but in real life it's actually copper. It fits perfectly in-between the barrels and doesn't even need glue to hold it in.

Today I drew out and assembled the bottom of the carry handle assembly. I had to go pretty well off the plans for this one, because of the size difference in the pipe and to make it more structurally sound. I had the front curved part cut out as per the drawings and it snapped pretty much as soon as I fitted it. Not to worry though! I just glued it back together and reinforced it (can't even tell) Smile

[Image: 20160319_175444_zps2sjjh9o6.jpg]

I cut the ring part out of an end cap for the drain pipe and slid it onto the tube.

[Image: 20160319_175459_zpsgwlsjek7.jpg]

So that's it! It's getting exciting seeing all these parts getting assembled and test fitting them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Interest Thread Rotating blaster cannon Aussiegamer 10 2,195 Thursday 27-Mar-2014, 05:53 PM
Last Post: TerrorFirma