Hopeful future trooper in Brisbane
Hi all!  Smile

Have considered joining here for a while and finally decided to take the plunge! I'm 19, currently at university, and have lived in Brisbane for just over a year (ex sunny coast resident) and am a massive clone wars and original trilogy fan, though that's probably something I share with everyone else here lol. I have always wanted to have my own set of armour and now that I have a bit of money saved up and am looking for ways I can get involved with likeminded people in the community I think its finally time! 

At this point I am most interested in being either a Clone Paratrooper or Purge Trooper and will be looking for plenty of help either making or buying a set of armour that is up to 501st standards. I'd also really appreciate if anyone would be able to give a very rough estimation of how much this style of armour might cost.

Another random question: Do you need to have a matching prop weapon with your outfit to be granted membership? And if so (or not as well), are there people here who could help with that too?

Wishing you all an amazing afternoon!
Hello there!

Welcome to the Redback Garrison!

For all things Clone troopers head over to the CTD: https://501stclonetroopers.com/

First things first, we don't actually sell pre-built (or commision) costumes here in the 501st legion, as getting approved is all about how the suit fits you. So you would be building a suit yourself, to fit yourself.

Kits can be purchased from vendors located on the Clone Trooper detachment, these kits are usually vaccuformed sheets of ABS plastic which have to be cut, joined, made seemless and painted. Again, this process is all about making a suit that fits you and is 100% movie (or video game) accurate. 

The Costume Reference Library is a good starting point for working out just what is required. Here are the links for the Airborne trooper (I assume you mean 212th) and the Purge trooper:

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Cost...2th_parjai

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CC_purge

You will have to research to find out exactly how much either of these costumes will cost.

But for example, a basic, standard, ROTS trooper can cost around $2000. Airborne troopers have a lot of extra parts and a very specialized helmet so you can assume they would cost more than that. 

To answer your "random" question; no, blasters are not required for approval. There are vendors who create blasters on the forums, but you are of course welcome to create your own.

As you go down your suit building journey, I would encourage you to start a build thread so that other members can pitch in and give you pointers on your kit. Feel free to ask lots of questions!

- Bolt
[Image: 53289799330_7946086c0f_z.jpg]
(Thursday 17-Mar-2022, 01:23 PM)Bolt_2112 Wrote:  Hello there!

Welcome to the Redback Garrison!

For all things Clone troopers head over to the CTD: https://501stclonetroopers.com/

First things first, we don't actually sell pre-built (or commision) costumes here in the 501st legion, as getting approved is all about how the suit fits you. So you would be building a suit yourself, to fit yourself.

Kits can be purchased from vendors located on the Clone Trooper detachment, these kits are usually vaccuformed sheets of ABS plastic which have to be cut, joined, made seemless and painted. Again, this process is all about making a suit that fits you and is 100% movie (or video game) accurate. 

The Costume Reference Library is a good starting point for working out just what is required. Here are the links for the Airborne trooper (I assume you mean 212th) and the Purge trooper:

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Cost...2th_parjai

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CC_purge

You will have to research to find out exactly how much either of these costumes will cost.

But for example, a basic, standard, ROTS trooper can cost around $2000. Airborne troopers have a lot of extra parts and a very specialized helmet so you can assume they would cost more than that. 

To answer your "random" question; no, blasters are not required for approval. There are vendors who create blasters on the forums, but you are of course welcome to create your own.

As you go down your suit building journey, I would encourage you to start a build thread so that other members can pitch in and give you pointers on your kit. Feel free to ask lots of questions!

- Bolt

Thanks for the warm welcome and very helpful comments regarding my questions! I'm seeing that its gonna take me quite some time from start to finish for my armour to be completed but I'm sure it'll be well worth the time and effort!! Will definitely check out CTD right now and post on the forums once I start building, I'm gonna need all the help/suggestions I can get haha.

Also just wanted to compliment you on the amazing looking Commander Cody armour on your profile pic (which I'm assuming is yours). If my Airborne turns out half as well as yours looks, I'll be very happy!
No worries mate, yes building an approvable kit can be quite the endeavor! I've build 4 clones now and I don't think I've completed one in less than 12 months. Clones are generally some of the more difficult troopers to build, with all the extra armour parts they have.

Ask questions, particually before you buy, and know exactly what you are getting into.

Good luck and thanks for the compliment, that is indeed my Cody.
[Image: 53289799330_7946086c0f_z.jpg]
Welcome to the forums, Bolt has given good advice and the choice of armor in clones is a good one , each clone is a work of art and the end product tends to look pretty amazing , one of the best things about clone armor is that even if a mistake is made then due to the construction process there is very little that can’t be fixed , first suggestion I’d make is to invest in some plastic fusion epoxy adhesive , you will need a lot of tubes to finish a clone but the product will hold for the life of the armor and is easy to use , don’t hesitate to reach out and ask questions here .
DW2013GCSN13BN12
DW2014GCSN14BN13
              GCSN15BN14
After looking at some pricing and the techniques required for some of the extra components, I've decided I might pursue a clone shock trooper instead of an airborne trooper for my first set of armour. Keep things slightly simple to start off!
Are you going to Oz Comic Con next weekend, if so you can catch up with a few of us that have built clones and also the TK variant of the shocktrooper.
DW2013GCSN13BN12
DW2014GCSN14BN13
              GCSN15BN14
(Sunday 20-Mar-2022, 05:47 PM)Cyclops Wrote:  Are you going to Oz Comic Con next weekend, if so you can catch up with a few of us that have built clones and also the TK variant of the shocktrooper.

Sadly I won't be able to attend due to work  Brokenheart

Would have been great to catch up with some of you and listen to some of your experiences with building in person! Plus see some of that amazing armour. Hopefully there will be another open event with some Redbacks soon enough!

Also made a build thread as suggested on the forums Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hopeful Future clone CorporalCorn 5 582 Tuesday 3-Jan-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Cyclops
  Hopeful new clone apgallagher1 8 666 Sunday 20-Nov-2022, 06:23 PM
Last Post: apgallagher1
  Hopeful new Snowy onboard! Starbeam_Antarctica 12 13,742 Monday 24-Apr-2017, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Hydro