Storm Trooper uniform
Good morning 501st!.
My name is Graham Winkler and I intend joining this fantastic organisation as a Storm Trooper. I saw the 501st 'in action' at SupaNova on Sat and was most impressed. I would like some assistance please if possible in getting 'correctly' kitted out with the right stuff. I want to make my impression correct the first time and not waste time and money because of haste or poor judgement on my behalf. If there is any information particularly guidance with regard to 'where to purchase and what' that people could assist with - I would be most grateful.
Already on my limited research I have found that there is so much to be wary of. At the moment for example I'm looking at a EFX Storm Troopers helmet from Popcultcha in Gelong Vic (EFX 01111018). Does this helmet meet with approval to wear from the 501st. If so are there any major modifications that I need to be aware of prior to purchase or is there a better alternative.
What is the best place to purchase my armour from?
I was fortunate to speak with Bruce (cyclops) on the weekend and he gave me some very good information - particularly about this thread. So here I am.
Any assistance will be readily accepted
Thank you
Graham Winkler (Seamist3)
Welcome mate!! Oh man what a can of worms this can be...in a nutshell, yes. The eFX can be modified so that it is approvable. A lot of the guys support an eFX, myself included and we have all been approved Jig

In the case of Cyclops and myself, the helmet that came with our evilbay armour, was huge and hidious. And for the same price as a kit helmet, we went with the ready made eFX. However, depending on the make of armour you purchase, you may not need the eFX. There are a lot of really well made kits out there that include a helmet. Once assembled, they look fantastic. It all comes down to your budget. Just wait, you will in time get lots of suggestions about where to go and to buy what you need. Keep asking question!!!
Royalguard

Darth "I find your lack of pants disturbing."
BN12GCSN13:DW13:
Ok thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.
What are the best options with regards to a blaster kit?
Regards
Seamist3
Probably before you buy a helmet, try to choose a maker for your armour, as a lot of the kits come with helmets, so you can save a few dollars not doubling up.
You can get an eFX to basic approval without too much trouble, and you'll find a couple of build threads and tutorials that will give you a good idea of what is involved with the changes to an eFX to make it 501st worthy, both for basic, and for the higher levels

This thread from Muppet will give you a bit of a start on where to look for an armour maker:
http://www.501st.com.au/forum/thread-1967.html

Also some armour suits different sized guys better, so look for the troopers around your physical build, and ask them what they are wearing, why they chose it etc.

You should also get yourself an account happening on the First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment pages, which you can find here:
http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/
There's a lot of really good info for any new TK on there

A lot of the troopers here make the other parts you'll need to finish the build, (holster, canvas belt, neck seal etc.) and the local products are really good quality, so be sure to ask about all those things too, everyone here is really helpful with questions Smile
a good quick start for a blaster would be a stormtrooper habsro blaster (evil bay) with a doopydoos kit (just type in the name ...) Others scratch build their blasters, theres a pipe build available as well...
Just depends on the outlay you wish to make and the amount of time you have available..

Welcome to the madhouse Td
.... It's alright for you to judge me,
sitting up there in your airconditioned battle Cruiser!...

[Image: bfb80cfde9949491.png]
:gcsn12:
:dw12:
I'm partial to the Doopy Doo resin kit. It's a great price (it does come from the UK), and it attaches easily to a piece of 40mm pvc pipe.
Here is a build thread I did not so long ago...

http://www.501st.com.au/forum/thread-4423.html

Google Doopy Doo E-11 pipe blaster. They also have extra pieces you can add to when ever you like. I'm thinking of having a blaster party/workshop soon. A lot of people needing blasters made at the moment Jig
Royalguard

Darth "I find your lack of pants disturbing."
BN12GCSN13:DW13:
Thank you one and all - appreciated!
So much to know!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards
Seamist3
Welcome! Always great to have Supanova converts! Doppeldaumen1

There's been a lot of good advice already, and you are right to want to do it properly the first time, and take the time to get it right.

Once you have your armour though, you'll find it tough to be patient with it while you assemble it, because you'll be so excited to get it finished.

Cyclops will agree with that. Wink He is so itching to have his armour finished. Should be any day now. Lol

Also, keep an eye out for when people are holding an Armour Party. That's where we all get together and work on armour, and other costumes. It helps to get to know people, and get help and advice from others who've built things before. Or, when your armour arrives, you could also host an armour party, and get people to come and help you along the way. Smile

You're going to have a blast!!! Peace
Bunnies..... The cutest things ever!
Hi Seamist3,
Welcome to the Best Garrison in the known Universe... Smile

DW2012 BN12
GCSN13 :DW13:
Ok -my brain is starting to hurt.........
Is there anyone who has an opinion on the Armor Master (lite) and the EFX ANH Storm Troopers combination. Has anyone had any experience with AM. Will they be acceptable to 501st without too much drama.
ps with the EFX helmets - how much modification is required. I've never really played with plastics so I'd like to reduce the ammount of risk in stuffing my gear when I get it.
Thanks
Seamist3
Hey there Graham, Moxxxie here (Jacqui!)

I've got AM's old mold (called FX) and an EFX helmet. I've been trooping in that for the last four years, and it's still in decent 'nick. There's a number of people who have his newer AM kit, which is more accurate than the old FX.

The EFX kit will need some small mods to get it appropriable, but nothing that an afternoon and a cold beer wont see you through.

PS: Welcome to the Redbacks!
I survived Dreamworld 2010CVI
DW2011CVII
DW2012
DW2013
DW2014
DW2015
Thanks Moxxxie.
Am really greatfull to all the responses.
Regards
Graham
Seamist3
welcome to the nuthouse. please sign yourself in cause you can never leave (Eagles song, Hotel cal) ha ha
DW2012 TO DW2015
BN11 TO BN14
:GCSN12: TO GCSN15

(Monday 12-Nov-2012, 01:20 PM)Seamist3 Wrote:  Ok -my brain is starting to hurt.........

I'm just a few months ahead of you and yeah brain hurt will happen for a while, but make sure you ask as many questions as you can think of as the guys here are great will help anyway they can.
DW2013 to DW2018
Hello Graham and welcome,
I have AM armor with a RS bucket, granted I've
Only been on a couple of troops with it Smile
( pretty new to this as well ) but I think it's pretty
Decent for the price and depending on how your planning on putting the whole thing together
its pretty easy to get approved, if you live
anywhere near the Gold Coast your more than
welcome to have a look.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking to be a storm trooper/ foot soldier Magicmajid1989 7 9,860 Sunday 15-May-2016, 03:51 AM
Last Post: Magicmajid1989
  Would like to build my Storm Trooper suit 1971 5 7,675 Wednesday 23-Dec-2015, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Sly
  Storm trooper gear Midnight 36 60,848 Tuesday 21-Feb-2012, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Phoenix